Peppermint shrimp dying???

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help!! My shrimp was fine a few hours ago now it is upside down, like a dead bug! The parameters aren't that bad
pH- 7.9
No2- 0.1 ppm
No3- 30ppm
Kh- 9.3 dkh

20240217_164040.jpg

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I realized, it might be the pH and I did a big mistake, it was at 7.4 then I panicked Soo much that within seconds I changed it to 8.0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I realized, it might be the pH and I did a big mistake, it was at 7.4 then I panicked Soo much that within seconds I changed it to 8.0
Yep that will do it. Whats the ammonia at? Inverts dont do well with any detectable nitrite unlike fish

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that will do it. Whats the ammonia at? Inverts dont do well with any detectable nitrite unlike fish
Sadly in France it's really hard to find anything and that makes me furious, I don't have an ammonia test but the nitrite got "stuck" at 0.01 to 0.1ppm, today it was 0.25 ppm so I did a big water change and the pH was high in my ro/di and salt mix, 8.6!! So why would it be low in my aquarium?

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I'm not sure if I should already throw out the shrimp (for less ammonia), it's still moving slightly bit just shaking leg, this could also be a failed molt I think, cause the shrimp was curved, sitting upside down

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly in France it's really hard to find anything and that makes me furious, I don't have an ammonia test but the nitrite got "stuck" at 0.01 to 0.1ppm, today it was 0.25 ppm so I did a big water change and the pH was high in my ro/di and salt mix, 8.6!! So why would it be low in my aquarium?
That I dont know, I constantly have to fight with Ph in my tanks. I add sea chem reef buffer if youre able to get that over there. It raises ph slowly and safely. The water where Im at just lacks ph for whatever reason. Also if your shrimp is still moving maybe keep him to see if he recovers but its unlikely, ph changes like that are usually bad

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I dont know, I constantly have to fight with Ph in my tanks. I add sea chem reef buffer if youre able to get that over there. It raises ph slowly and safely. The water where Im at just lacks ph for whatever reason. Also if your shrimp is still moving maybe keep him to see if he recovers but its unlikely, ph changes like that are usually bad
Wow same I fight everyday with pH, it changes sooo fast but yes I found a shop with strachem products, people say buffering is dangerous but I don't feel like buying one because the natural pH increasing helps me too (aeration, baking soda) and I'm scared to buy the buffering because the dkh is rising quickly, by 1 dkh in 3-4 days for now.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow same I fight everyday with pH, it changes sooo fast but yes I found a shop with strachem products, people say buffering is dangerous but I don't feel like buying one because the natural pH increasing helps me too (aeration, baking soda) and I'm scared to buy the buffering because the dkh is rising quickly, by 1 dkh in 3-4 days for now.
Yeah not sure about that, I have to use buffer for a few days after a major water change then the ph remains stable in my tank after

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure it's not a molt?
No that's the shaking shrimp, it was sitting and happily swimming then after an hour it just passed away randomly, I check the pH and I almost got a panic attack after looking at the result bit I think it was an issue with the test, because everything was alright, clownfish swimming normally and even twitching, hermit crab walking, snail eating...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back