Peppermint shrimp eating my frogspawn

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yeah that is for sure possible!
I've had plenty of things in the past where I wanted to like them, then they start eating all my stuff.
It's frustrating. The combo of fish I have now make it kind of hard to be able to keep a cleanup crew, though my diamond goby is pretty good. He has the whole back half of the sand clean. Waiting for him to do the front now. :thinking-face:

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had plenty of things in the past where I wanted to like them, then they start eating all my stuff.
It's frustrating. The combo of fish I have now make it kind of hard to be able to keep a cleanup crew, though my diamond goby is pretty good. He has the whole back half of the sand clean. Waiting for him to do the front now. :thinking-face:
I wanted to get a diamond goby, however since they grow to 6 inches, it'll be to big for my 20gallon
Wish I had a larger tank though, my sand is never clean

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to get a diamond goby, however since they grow to 6 inches, it'll be to big for my 20gallon
Wish I had a larger tank though, my sand is never clean
Mine's about 4 inches now. The first one decided to go floor surfing. The second one, I kept the lid on the tank for the first week, now he's fine. I have a melanurus wrasse, a flame hawk, a midas blenny, the diamond goby, and 3 chromis now. I need an algae eater of some sort. I dont want to mix blennies, but a bicolor would be cool. I just wouldnt want anyone to fight.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine's about 4 inches now. The first one decided to go floor surfing. The second one, I kept the lid on the tank for the first week, now he's fine. I have a melanurus wrasse, a flame hawk, a midas blenny, the diamond goby, and 3 chromis now. I need an algae eater of some sort. I dont want to mix blennies, but a bicolor would be cool. I just wouldnt want anyone to fight.
20240206_195539.jpg

One of the affected heads hasn't opened fully for 2 days now, does it look like its on its way out? The rest of the colony seems fine

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this peppermint for a year with no issues.

Recently I reduced feeding to reduce nitrates, and now I just saw him pull a tenticle off my frogspawn...

What can I do to stop this?
Seems to be interested in my Duncan coral, however this is likely due to me feeding the coral earlier today. My cleaner shrimp was also interested in it, and the peppermint shrimp isn't constantly on the coral, but he is staying close to it. I personally think this is it sensing food in the coral that I fed it, the coral is getting annoyed at the peppermint though. The shrimp was getting its claws inside of the Duncan but wasn't ripping any tentacles off or anything, pretty sure I am just paranoid at this point after the incident with the frogspawn

AstroZombie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240206_195539.jpg

One of the affected heads hasn't opened fully for 2 days now, does it look like its on its way out? The rest of the colony seems fine
Still has a nice healthy flesh ring, its just 2 days give it some time before you give up hope.

Anyways having read the thread all I can say is remember that an invert only tank has a super low bioload as long as you don't overfeed, which means its an easy low-gallon desktop tank. a 10 or even 5 gallon with some cheap indestructible softies like leathers (which are less soft and less likely to get chomped too) is a low cost setup. Throw in a few snails and you're good to go.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still has a nice healthy flesh ring, its just 2 days give it some time before you give up hope.

Anyways having read the thread all I can say is remember that an invert only tank has a super low bioload as long as you don't overfeed, which means its an easy low-gallon desktop tank. a 10 or even 5 gallon with some cheap indestructible softies like leathers (which are less soft and less likely to get chomped too) is a low cost setup. Throw in a few snails and you're good to go.
Probably what I'll do. I am just hoping that the Duncan is ok. I saw it tear some flesh off it this morning. I'll try to catch the shrimp today, any methods on catching them? I hate taking rockwork out

AstroZombie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably what I'll do. I am just hoping that the Duncan is ok. I saw it tear some flesh off it this morning. I'll try to catch the shrimp today, any methods on catching them? I hate taking rockwork out
Plastic bottle with brine shrimp in it. Shrimps will go right in long before fish stop being suspicious of it.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic bottle with brine shrimp in it. Shrimps will go right in long before fish stop being suspicious of it.
What I ended up doing is getting one of those fish breeding boxes. I haven't caught the shrimp yet, but I'm letting it get used of it and I'll attempt it later

Duncan coral seems to be recovering well

I will of course put the lid on it when the shrimp is in there. I'll let it sit in it for a week or so and put some filter media in there to give it some hiding space. I'll give it a week to let the coral recover and spit the food out, I reckon that this shrimp is aftee the food I fed the coral, not the coral itself
20240208_191845.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back