Peppermint shrimp

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a peppermint shrimp from LA last week and also had a bunch of corals I bought come in the same day. My plan was to keep the shrimp, snails and coral all in the same tank for q-time of 2 months.

Well right away the shrimp ran right over to the large rock flower anemone climbing all over it. I grabbed an acclimation box and put the anemone in it to keep it separate.

Well next day I notice the shrimp sitting on top of a large trachy and the trachy had lost all it's flesh.

So I moved it into the acclimation box also, it has some bits of flesh here and there but figure it is a loss.

I also moved a meat coral into the box as well as that also looks very fleshy and I didn't want to lose it to the shrimp.

Now the dang shrimp is poking his feet through the holes in the acclimation box to get to these corals.

I got him and the filefish(now dead) to deal with aptasia in my 180, but wondering if he is going to be a problem, I don't have many fleshy lps in the tank as yet, these were my first purchases.

My question now is how soon can I move him to the DD without worrying he will carry Ich or velvet. I thought I read once they molt you can move them but he has only been in there a week.

I was planning on waiting 2 months but he is being a huge pain in the q-tank.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like this, does it?
camelShrimp1.jpg

Zack33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you 100% you bought a peppermint shrimp? There are actually a wide variety of shrimp that look just like the peppermints we all know and love to deal with Aptasia, and not all of them deal with it.....

Make sure you fully ID your "peppermint" shrimp, it might be a camelback....a common mistake!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture, looks like a peppermint to me.
shrimp.jpg
Yup, that's a peppermint shrimp in the grand scheme of things. It might've gone rogue after not having anything to eat in a while and developed a taste for coral. I've had some that eat leather corals.

I would get some aiptasia to him in the QT system if you can so he can redevelop a taste for that.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had three peppermints go after a healthy Cycloceris plate Coral. They wiped out the Aiptasia and we're obviously hungry. I gave them each an algae wafer yesterday, but found them tearing into the plate today. Sucks. Luckily, I was able to catch them all and get them into the sump.

DRTYshredCo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my Peppermint has been feeding on (killed) my Candy Cane and just started on my Clove Polyp. :-/ These were doing great until I got the Peppermint... ever since it entered the tank things have been going downhill. Just caught it and put it in the back of my tank to see if the Polyp opens back up. The Polyp was even sprouting new heads. All levels are good.
E548F965-8054-48D4-9374-FAAC502D2AEE.jpeg
82D57333-91C3-4A68-BD1B-C944F42ECE25.jpeg
3BA1FE3B-1391-434D-8B86-226AD15F5E56.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back