PerfectCarbonController: CO2 Calcium Reactor Control

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting YANP (Yet ANother Project) in my aim to build individual controllers for the bulk of my tank functions and finally deprecate my APEX. As it stands, its solely responsible for heater control, and... controlling the CO2 pH in my calcium reactor.

(As a sidebar, its a companion to the other APEX replacement, the PerfectTemperatureController: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/theatrus-perfect-temperature-controller.707407/ - I have the controller in testing right now, more updates soon!)

One of the commercial units which starts with "Carbon" and maybe ends in "Doser" utilizes a single Clippard EV mouse valve and a small little Appliance timer module with a twisty pot. Years ago I cloned this, into a very simple 555 timer project which was easy for others to build, and where the single most expensive part was the $40 Clippard solenoid valve.

Its a super simple setup, and I still use it in lieu of a needle valve for controlling the CO2 rate. Needle valves can be rock solid, but in my experience are usually frustrating to all end to both get set in place at very very slow flow rates, and will drift over time as temperatures change and CO2 pressures move. Since I hate needle valves, I back my initial little controller with the APEX performing a very coarse CO2 on/off. The number of cases where I've run without the Ca reactor producing any viable effulent way outnumber the cases where its run away and melted down (which has more or less never happened), I bias the control to have the Co2 system in the OFF state most of the time, and add CO2 in bursts here and there. It makes a messy pH graph, works, but also has a distinct cycling noise.

I'd like to upgrade that whole setup. The basics are simple:

- pH sensors. Preferrably two, either for tank+reactor, or in two different stages of the reactor (effulent vs internal if using a media scrubber section).
- Clippard valve. I'd like to do a test using the $20 more expensive Clippard EVP valve, which is a proportional valve which opens with a varying voltage, instead of the clicking on/off EV valves, which produce a subtle ticking sound to meter CO2 when actuated in short bursts.

- One or two 30PSI differential pressure sensors, connected between inlet and atmosphere (to monitor CO2 from the regulator) and inlet to outlet (to monitor if the reactor body is accepting CO2 or has backed up in some way, or if its extremely low has lost the peristaltic pump feeding it).

Controller is based on the ESP32, which I'm using in https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-in-one-led-controller-dimmer-driver-project.558930/ (see, Yet ANOTHER project ;)). The pH section is lifted directly from the Reef-Pi Pico base board and is isolated, with two inputs instead of one. Using the ESP32 lets it also have internet connectivity for alarms, and can be used in other integrations with Reef-Pi or other systems. Plus its cheap ;)

The pH control can be made to run as a PID loop, to hit a particular pH in the reactor at all times with no swings.

A very very rough mechanical mock up is pictured below. The inlet and outlet ports aren't modeled yet, but this fits in a super compact little aluminum case, though the insides will have a decent chunk of snaking 1/8" Tygon tubing. Board will have a cutout to support the valve body, and I'm looking at good ways to mechanically mount it with a back of zip-ties and a bit of foam.

1598426795611.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice picture/diagram of the project. I can't follow the rest really, but I think I'll follow the thread and maybe learn something. Thanks for posting.:cool:

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some noodling on inlet/outlet port routing. I don't have the right barb fittings for the EV valves to connect everything up. The board is a very rough 3d print of the 3d model of the board.

The ports are air-rated quick-connects on the external, for 1/4" poly rigid tubing. I'd recommend polyethylene or polyurethane tubing.

1598597496260.png
1598597534437.jpeg

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the basic board layout .

1599378035755.png

Some fun learnings as I was putting together the BOM:

The 24 pin CP2102 USB to serial converters for programming the ESP32 are... nowhere to be found. Massive demand. Zero inventory in 20 and 24 pin.

ADM3260? Also zero distributor inventory. I still have some left over from Pico boards.

My go to SAMD11 processors for glue logic and such? Nope. End of November. I have a handful left over and a lot of SAMD10 (sans USB). Since I couldn't get any CP2102s in my common size, I opted to route the USB to the SAMD11 I'm using for ADC of the pressure sensors and timing of the valves. I"ll have to load it with USB VCP firmware to do the ESP32 programming. I might add a header to do ESP32 programming externally as well.

Either supply chains are still wrecked from COVID or someone recently turned manufacturing back on and sucked lots of common parts dry from distributor stock.

The FPC header routes several touch sensor channels and I2C to the front panel, where I'm going to toss a small 1.3" OLED panel for status.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised no one has rigged a timer to a paintball marker board yet. All it would take is replacing the trigger switch with the timer and matching signal voltage. These boards operate a wide variety of solenoids, including clippard and often have solenoid dwell adjustments. With a decent regulator, I could see this offering a very stable and repeatable bubble count per cycle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back