peristaltic pump not pumping

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Avast.
I recently replaced the motor on my peristaltic pump. I am not sure why it isn't working properly. It should be simple - if it turns and doesn't have a suction side leak, it should pump. I expected this problem to be a suction side leak, but at this point, it doesn't seem to be fixed by re-doing the connections.
  • It isn't moving water out of my ATO container.
  • I can get it to pump water in the kitchen, but slowly - it took an hour to prime a short piece of tubing from a water pitcher. I know it is slow by design, 7GPD, but considering the volume of the tubing I think it should have taken less than 2 minutes. (0.003gal/ft, using <2ft)
  • I did replace the pump peristaltic tubing
  • I suspect a leak on the suction side, but I have checked and rechecked the fittings. Finally, I just wrapped the whole fitting in teflon tape, which I've used in other situations to troubleshoot vacuum leaks.
  • it turns counterclockwise. Don't know if this is related so I'm sharing it, but I don't think it is the problem. The etching on the coverplate has IN on the left and OUT on the right. I think the last motor did this as well, and I just swapped the tubing. For what it is worth, I did check and recheck the wiring. I even swapped the black wire from the power cable. If I put both ends of tubing in the same bucket with the pump not primed, air bubbles slowly come from the tubing on the side labeled "IN"
In the included picture, it's been running for 2 hours. The teflon tape on the fittings has been there for 30 minutes. It still isn't dripping out of the outlet. You can see the clamp has been pulled up against the pump body while the pump turns on the side that has the reservoir tubing, and the clamp moved away from the body on the side that should be free dripping back into the reservoir, indicating the CCW motion.
I did confirm the inlet white tubing in the reservoir is free and clear and submerged, with no kinks. I can also easily suck water or blow air through it.
Also, I did get it dripping into my sump last night plugged into an outlet, so I thought it was fixed and plugged it into the sensor outlet. This morning, the green light was on but no water was coming out. That's when I pulled off the outlet tubing at the reservoir as shown in the picture.

I do need this to work, so I will try replacing the jg fitting and I will try re-clamping the black tubing to the peristaltic tubing, but I think the teflon tape should have temporarily solved that. FYI - all the tubing is cut square with a tubing cutter.

For anyone reading this, the system has worked very well for me. I've had a few problems, but they've been self-inflicted, either at installation, or by neglect of the reservoir. Secure tubing attachment at the fittings is key.

I did ask this via email to Avast support. You're very responsive, but seeing as it is the weekend, I'm also using your forum here in case another user might see something obvious. Answer at either location, I'll check back at both.

20220430_132744.jpg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In on the left & out on the right sounds like a clockwise situation.
However it should transfer water.

OP
OP
S

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's marked in on the left, around 7 oclock, and out on the right, at about 5oclock. Its marked for clockwise rotation, but it's turning counter clockwise. It appears completely symmetrical, so i don't think that's a factor either.
It was pumping in my kitchen from one cup to another, but while reading this, it stopped.
I am quite sure i have a vacuum problem, but I've bought new fittings and redone everything.
One new fitting i found was tight only four a few minutes. After that, i could slip it right off. Frustrating.
Im using some clear tubing now. It seems to be stalling out at about 3 inches of lift.
Im going to swap the inlet and outlet of the peristaltic tubing, and rewrap all the connections with silicone or teflon tape.

OP
OP
S

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's finally pumping. I had a few other things going on today, so i worked on this intermittently. I had to replace a fitting, a few pieces of tubing, but the biggest impact was replacing the black tubing that comes in the peristaltic tubing. I did reverse it and double clamp it as well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back