Peroxide dip?

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some rocks and frag plugs that have stubborn GHA on them.

The rocks are small enough to remove and dip.

I have been looking for a thread that someone had listed instructions and I can't find it.

Can anyone help me out with this?

OP
OP
kv69

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-4. Thanks. That should be easy enough. My tank and lagoon have finally finished a mini cycle from switching to the Triton Method and there are just a few problem areas that need manual removal. Algae growing like crazy in the fuge, so hopefully I can eradicate it and it won't come back. The 3 rock have Palys and zoas on them as well but they are pretty much covered, they are fist size and smaller.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
kv69

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I will post them up tomorrow in the am. Sunday funday maintenance...

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on what @twilliard and @brandon429 said. However, I've dipped frag plugs and rocks with zoas and palys and they have all been fine. I just did a dip on a plug with 25-30 zoas on it: a gallon of old tank water and a couple glugs of good ol' 3% H2O2, also direct zapped the GHA with pure H2O2 and a syringe, swished it around in the peroxide water, let it sit there until it was bubbling pretty good (as bubbling is a good indicator that the peroxide is breaking chemical bonds and amino acids), then rinsed well, put them back in my tank and an hour later they were open. Today all the GHA is gone or white and it isn't choking the zoas; they are all open fully and happy as a clam,,, err, zoa. So anyway, you aren't going to kill the rocks and plugs you have. If you want to be conservative, just spot target the GHA. A full dip of pretty concentrated peroxide won't hurt though. I accidentally poured 3% peroxide directly on a bunch of zoas once and it didn't affect them at all. I quickly rinsed them but there were no effects at all. Peroxide is pretty harmless unless you leave something exposed to it for an extended period. Even in the tank, the peroxide does not stay in that form for long. All organisms have genetic protections against oxidizing compounds in the form of proteins that are synthesized in response to external stimuli.

OP
OP
kv69

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20151121_174344.jpg

Snapped a pic of the most stubborn one. It has basically taken off in the last few days. I will post an after later tonight or in the morning, just depends if I make it back before the lights go out. BTW this is a booger size frag. And I will shut the flow off so the after pic will be better.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20151121_174344.jpg

Snapped a pic of the most stubborn one. It has basically taken off in the last few days. I will post an after later tonight or in the morning, just depends if I make it back before the lights go out. BTW this is a booger size frag. And I will shut the flow off so the after pic will be better.

Oh yeah, dip that sucker in a gallon of tank water and a half cup of 3% peroxide. Wait until the bubbling is pretty pronounced; that's enough to show you that the peroxide is oxidizing the chemical bonds of the GHA, should be about two to three minutes, then rinse it really well and put back in your tank. It's best to rinse in a bucket with a powerhead that can provide current strong enough to rinse the bubbling off of the plug. You should see white filamentous algae where green once thrived. That stuff grows so fast, it's better to just eradicate it as soon as possible so it doesn't grow. That'll kill it quick and for good. Have fun stripping your tank of the GHA!!!!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back