Peroxide dosing and Tin levels

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use of hydrogen peroxide dosing (3% H2O2 at 1 ml/8 to 10 gallons of saltwater) is used by some to eradicate certain forms of cyano. Since hydrogen peroxide is typically stabilized with tin [i.e., stannous oxalate, tin(II) oxalate, etc], has anyone every had an ICP test done while in the midst of hydrogen peroxide dosing and if so what were your tin levels?

Curious what impact the tin stabilizer may have at the dose levels noted above. I'm sure its small especially given 3% H2O2, but since tin is a heavy metal that we want at only minute traces if at all, I have no idea how much impact such dosing might have.

OP
OP
Reef Jeff

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I found this patent discussion around the various forms of tin used as a stabilizer https://patents.google.com/patent/US5078672A/en I don't know enough about chemistry to know what amount they used, especially in dilute versions of H2O2. This article was more for commercial use in the 35% and higher ranges so not even sure it applies to 3%. I have a small tank with a cyano infection that I am testing out @twilliard thread on hydrogen peroxide dosing just as an experiment and wondered if that was introducing tin. This is all just curiosity more than anything.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back