Peroxide, GHA, and will it affect macroalgae?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past month GHA will sprout new "tufts" on my rocks and I quickly remove it with a toothbrush. It no longer gets on my rocks but has formed a large patch on my back glass (which I never clean). I recently added some macroalgae from another reefer loaded with copepods and live mysis shrimp to help the problem. My question is: Will target dosing the GHA on my back glass also kill my macroalgae and iverts in the sump?

I'm running a skimmer, purigen, and carbon prior to my water entering my refugium. Or should I avoid dosing peroxide and just get a foxface (I've been wanting one of those for a while now)?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My one spot foxface does a great job of keeping even the most invasive algae in check (Caulerpa racemosa, valonia, etc.). I got is specifically for that reason.

As to the effects of hydrogen peroxide, it isn't my preferred method, so I'll leave describing how well it might work and the drawbacks of it to folks who use it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for sure advocate any grazing that works over any cheats, a direct mimic of nature.

to me the issue comes down to whether it's left in the system while the actions are applied or not, prefs vary. if peroxide was used it wouldn't be whole tank dose, that contacts non targets. it would be out of tank spot treatments with the rocks removed. Hard work.

many consider early low growth algae nbd, food for grazers, part of the community which it is in nature and they take less action

is ok either way but I've never liked putting the peroxide into a full running tank.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's only on the back wall, so the tank looks pretty good all around. Foxface it is. Now to pick what kind...

Thanks Guys!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back