Perry's 90 Gallon SCA Acro Upgrade

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Josh!
Things are settling in nicely, now to acclimate new lighting, really diggin the Kessil :)

Looking forward to your review on them. Sounds like they are the closest LED to Halide comparison.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to your review on them. Sounds like they are the closest LED to Halide comparison.

Hi Josh,
1st full day running the kessil a500x!
No harm, no foul. Coral response seems positive, so in few days I will bump color by 5%. I will bump color first, to get to 40%, which is fairly white for most. Then, I will slowly start ramping intensity. This process will take a couple of weeks, maybe a month, going slow ;)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Time :)
I have a lot of anecdotal/observation to unpack here, I will do my best to be as brief as possible.
First off, since adding the A500x, I thought to myself, maybe I should move heater/controller to main tank, as it was in use on my 20 gallon backup tank/not in use. My RKL temp probe wasn't working on my DT, so I simply ignored temp, feeling the 73 degrees ambient temp would keep temp at a good range, wrong! As soon as the temp registered, I was peaking at 81 degrees, with only LED. But, things look improved from an algae aspect, the biome seemed more stable. Dinos gone, cyano fading, nearly non-existent. I decided to run a small fan over the sump, and now have temp peaking at 79.4 degrees. So I have every reason to believe my uglies were being accelerated with higher temps, especially with t5's. My peak temp was likely hitting 84 degrees, and nothing good happens there. Side note, daily glass haze has been reduced significantly, likely a temp issue as well.
Next, I now have no visible aptasia, even the larger ones are gone, the file fish has been putting in OT, lol. So, the uglies are disappearing, making the DT look super clean. Now, the little guy seems to like certain palys, so will have to monitor.
As far as lighting goes, I have managed to boost my color channel on the Kessil to 40%, while intensity remains peaking at 60%. I am seeing a major response from acros, they are glowing, so on the right track. Growth continues as well.
All of this said, I feel that the tank has found a sweet spot, so looking forward to seeing the continued improvement, time will tell :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bommie FTS for August :)
Who can guess what t-shirt I was wearing in the reflection of the overflow? Still trying to figure out how to photo under LEDS properly, lol :)

20210811_143044.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This picture of the ASD Rainbow Milli was a keeper from photos taken yesterday. Still tricky taking photos under LED.
20210811_120759.jpg

That acro looks great on my end.

Glad that your big dog a500x is doing well.

From past experiences, an elevated temp can sure speed up the metabolism rate with Aiptasia and with other intruding life forms. Would think it would lower oxygen levels too.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That acro looks great on my end.

Glad that your big dog a500x is doing well.

From past experiences, an elevated temp can sure speed up the metabolism rate with Aiptasia and with other intruding life forms. Would think it would lower oxygen levels too.
Thanks Freddie!
Good news on aptasia, file fish has wiped them out. But yes, all things bad do well under higher temps, and I overlooked temp, but since the lighting upgrade, temp is naturally much lower. Still, I ordered a small clip on fan, which will run in sump constantly, to get down to stable 77-78 degrees. Without, it's 80-81 degrees. Acceptable, but not desirable.
Cheers

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Perry things have really taken off! Seems like you must be doing all the right things to fuel the growth.

Hey Tim,
Since lighting change, no slow down in growth or color, so something is working, lol. Time... That simple, just time, and patience :)

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post will be painful, I will do my best. Nearly 3 weeks ago, my love Cindy passed away, the loss was sudden, and unexpected. She absolutely loved my passion for this hobby, and would want that passion to continue, as hard as it is, I am still reefin on. The struggle is real, but I will continue to push forward and honor her life legacy. I am grateful for my time with her, and will see her again, when it's time.

The September FTS for those following as promised. Hug your significant other as tight and long as you can, cause life can get complicated, trust me, don't take that for granted. All the best yall...

20210915_141842.jpg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post will be painful, I will do my best. Nearly 3 weeks ago, my love Cindy passed away, the loss was sudden, and unexpected. She absolutely loved my passion for this hobby, and would want that passion to continue, as hard as it is, I am still reefin on. The struggle is real, but I will continue to push forward and honor her life legacy. I am grateful for my time with her, and will see her again, when it's time.

The September FTS for those following as promised. Hug your significant other as tight and long as you can, cause life can get complicated, trust me, don't take that for granted. All the best yall...

20210915_141842.jpg
I'm really sorry to hear it Perry! Not much I can say but I wish you and your family all the best in this hard time!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry Perry for the loss of your beloved Cindy. I wish to second what @tripdad suggested. This kind of grief should not be suffered alone. Your presence also helps others. I hope you can discover a group nearby. They are commonly hosted at churches, but the ones I am familiar with were fairly secular.

Maybe something along these lines. Either way we wish you strength through this passage,

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the well wishes!
I am seeking counseling, support groups, and making dietary and holistic changes as well. I am adopting her son, he and I have our new lives to journey together. My daughter also lost her baby this year, so just ready for 2022. I know my life is forever changed, but life carries on, and I appreciate my fellow reef buddies and the community. I don't use FB, so this community is my closest version, and despite waffling over posting, I knew I would find it therapeutic. Thanks again, I am already planning on aquaculture in the future. I have an entire room calling for expansion. So carrying out and making a dream a reality would make Cindy proud. Nothing in the immediate future, but having a vision is also therapy, and good place to find myself during lifes most challenging times. Thanks again, hoping that October's FTS brings more joy :)
All the best!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back