Perseverance Reef

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not 100% sure yet what caused it but what I do know is that the bottom glass cracked in two. It took out my Viparspectra lights, and proceeded to drop 90 gallons (probably much less though after all the rock) onto the floor.

Thankfully it was caught fairly quickly and I was able to get buckets under it and all. The floor is pretty clean but there’s still standing water in spots. There’s no sand on the floor either thankfully.

My wife has a 37 gallon tank she’s keeping a robo hamster in and she offered to let me to use it. Hopefully the BTA survives this. I’m not giving up though. I just have to figure out how to proceed from here.
Welcome to the HOLYSHITMYTANKWATERISFLOWINGONTHEFLOOR club!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. :)
I am not by no means trying to start crud or insult anyone.

This is going to ve a tl;dr
But, hang in there.

Trading your wrasse for a new tank. This might have hurt you. But, did she get a good home?

This is not a lecture, but we need to be aware. Do not take this the wrong way.

We say we love our animals. If we do, we do what's best for them. Even if it means letting someone else have them that can provide better.
Instead of clinging on and saying "but, i love them so much, I can't let them go!"

You did the right thing. For your wrasse. I can say, that is love.
Sure you did a trade. But, it was necessary for both of you to continue.

I am not trying to shine light on someone elses issues or selfishness. I leave with an example currently in the fish disease forums.

If she loved her puffer so much, he would have been found a new home for the lack of ability to supply comfort to said fish.

I'm hoping by end of july to pack up piglet and get him over to flora. It's been a joy seeing that clown grow up so quickly I didn't even notice. He always looked like a quarter to me.

I hope this tank when brought up to light lasts you 15+ years. Or, until you go bigger.

Hang in there :)

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I hope this tank when brought up to light lasts you 15+ years. Or, until you go bigger.

+1 bigger!

I totally agree with the rest too. Sometimes we have to give up things we want/like/love because we're not right for the fish.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not by no means trying to start crud or insult anyone.

This is going to ve a tl;dr
But, hang in there.

Trading your wrasse for a new tank. This might have hurt you. But, did she get a good home?

This is not a lecture, but we need to be aware. Do not take this the wrong way.

We say we love our animals. If we do, we do what's best for them. Even if it means letting someone else have them that can provide better.
Instead of clinging on and saying "but, i love them so much, I can't let them go!"

You did the right thing. For your wrasse. I can say, that is love.
Sure you did a trade. But, it was necessary for both of you to continue.

I am not trying to shine light on someone elses issues or selfishness. I leave with an example currently in the fish disease forums.

If she loved her puffer so much, he would have been found a new home for the lack of ability to supply comfort to said fish.

I'm hoping by end of july to pack up piglet and get him over to flora. It's been a joy seeing that clown grow up so quickly I didn't even notice. He always looked like a quarter to me.

The person I did the trade with is about 2 miles from my house. She’s well known here and I’ve seen her tanks. They’re immaculate.

She helped me when I had dinos a little over a year ago. I almost quit back then.

I agree though. We DO need to be careful who we trade with. I’m glad you brought this up. If we truly love our animals we need to do what’s in THEIR best interests.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The person I did the trade with is about 2 miles from my house. She’s well known here and I’ve seen her tanks. They’re immaculate.

She helped me when I had dinos a little over a year ago. I almost quit back then.

I agree though. We DO need to be careful who we trade with. I’m glad you brought this up. If we truly love our animals we need to do what’s in THEIR best interests.
And now, I have to read that article. See what you’ve done? :D

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All jokes aside I’m glad you brought this up. We need to be reminded from time so thank you.

If you ever see me about to do or if you already see me doing something stupid please please please let me know. Heaven knows I have my moments.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ummm... You're running a reef tank. That in itself tends to be stupid. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: We all have to be practically insane to do half of the stuff we do to keep these things.
Stupid and insane are 2 different things.

We're all insane 100%

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp I’m about halfway done the stand although a few small adjustments need to be made before the glue up.

image.jpg

Later on I’m getting my table saw out (my poor wife… she puts up with a lot for my sake. Fortunately she also likes the reef. We literally just found out a surgery she had scheduled at the end of the month is scheduled for Wednesday so I have until the end of the day tomorrow to have this done and the new system up and running) and I’m going to make the adjustments I need to make. I’ll also cut wood for the new cabinets, which will be one piece with the stand. That’ll have to wait until the glue up is done though.

So far my fish are still alive and kicking as well as the nem and Hawaiian feather duster. I’m pretty sure all the hermits and all are ok since the water in the bin is crystal clear and no smell is emanating from it. I can’t say the same however for what was in the sand sadly and part of the rock. That’s been exposed since the blowout happened. I just didn’t have enough salt or time to get everything wet again.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get the stand glued up I’ll only put the rocks from the bin and the one bucket I was able to keep wet. The other rocks will have to cure again but it’s not tons thankfully.

I got an idea I truly like the sound of. I want to make a rolling cart that would go behind the stand. It would hold an ATO system, dosing pumps, and reservoirs for kalkwasser and anything else I might need to dose. That would make refills easier on me. I already have some casters that are more than capable of handling the weight. Technically they could handle the weight of the whole system so I know they’ll be able to do what I’m asking of them.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp I’m about halfway done the stand although a few small adjustments need to be made before the glue up.

image.jpg

Later on I’m getting my table saw out (my poor wife… she puts up with a lot for my sake. Fortunately she also likes the reef. We literally just found out a surgery she had scheduled at the end of the month is scheduled for Wednesday so I have until the end of the day tomorrow to have this done and the new system up and running) and I’m going to make the adjustments I need to make. I’ll also cut wood for the new cabinets, which will be one piece with the stand. That’ll have to wait until the glue up is done though.

So far my fish are still alive and kicking as well as the nem and Hawaiian feather duster. I’m pretty sure all the hermits and all are ok since the water in the bin is crystal clear and no smell is emanating from it. I can’t say the same however for what was in the sand sadly and part of the rock. That’s been exposed since the blowout happened. I just didn’t have enough salt or time to get everything wet again.
Remind me what size tank this is for? And it's on end right now correct?
One thing I'd caution against. By having your uprights inside of the top and bottom instead of supporting the top and bottom you are supporting the weight of the tank with the screws not the wood. This can lead to a failure. Ask @fishguy242 about frankentanks stand failure...

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep, missed that , support needed in between both rim boards ,on top of uprights,
Wish I could get there ,i 'd gladly help you get back up ,asap... :)
you got this , no problem...;)

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remind me what size tank this is for? And it's on end right now correct?
One thing I'd caution against. By having your uprights inside of the top and bottom instead of supporting the top and bottom you are supporting the weight of the tank with the screws not the wood. This can lead to a failure. Ask @fishguy242 about frankentanks stand failure...
Heh this is not all of it, I won’t be relying on screws to hold literally 750 lbs not counting the sump. I have true legs that I’ll clamp and glue in place. This just makes a better joint. It’ll look like the stand on the 90 only longer and slimmer.

image.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back