Persistent Algae

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling an algae issue for a couple months since I removed the sand bed from my sump. Can anyone identify this? The algae blows off easily with a turkey baster, but is 100% back a few days..

The tank has been through a lot in the past several months: several rounds of high doses of milbemycin, oxolinic acid, corals removed for multiple dips with all kinds of stuff... been frustrating.... but the tank is rebounding and corals are growing and coloring up.

I have a suspicion that I caused a lot of dieoff with the 10x dose of milbemycin and it may take time for the tank to rebalance.

Anyway, an identification may help me combat this. Of course I'd be open to any suggestions.

Tank Parameters:

13 months up and running
Dry rock seeded with about 50 lbs of TBSW rock

160 gallon lighted with 3 reefbrite mh/xho (2 14k and 1 10k) 6 hours of light for the 14k's and 2 hours for the 10k. XHO's ramp up and down and are on for about 10 hours.

P04: .15 - Been using gfo (rowa and now high capacity brs) in small doses to bring it down with hopes of combating the algae. I bring the phosphate down but it rises in a few days. Phosphate has been as high as .27 after the oxolinic acid treatment.

Nitrate: 10-15
ALK 7.7 (ish)
CA: 440
MG; 1350

fts.jpeg
small section.jpeg
close up 1.jpeg
close up 2.jpeg
fts.jpeg small section.jpeg close up 1.jpeg close up 2.jpeg

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole is definitely worth a try.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank set up for a few months. I have been having issues with diatoms and brown stringy algea. I have 1 Otto, but he doesn't really help all that much. Are there any other freshwater sea creatures I can put in to combat the algeas?

This thread is asking for identification for a specific nuisance algae/bacteria. You may get more responses if you start a thread specific to your concerns.

Just trying to help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back