Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pervagor eating aiptasia?

Hi everybody,
I’m new to this forum, I’ve been following you for some time and finally I took the courage to register .
I’m struggling with a 40 gallons Reef tank for three years now, mainly sps and lps and when I was getting some progress I started my fight with aiptasia. I would like to avoid chemical products.
I introduced a filefish ( Acreichthys Tomentosus) with no results. He eats everything but aipatsia. I have recently introduced 2 peppermint shrimps (Lysmata Kuekenthali), with the same result. Yestarday I saw at the LFS a Pervagor fish, it should of the same family of the filefish already in the tank. Before taking my chances buying the fish, I would like to ask if someone has already had an esperience with the Pervagor in fighting aipatsia. Thanks for your feedback

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
from the reading I have done they are not reef safe so I would skip them. I have had a good luck with peppermint shrimp in the past, I would do some research and make sure the ones you have are in fact, the ones that eat aptasia. There are a number of “peppermint shrimp“ being sold that are not the same species as the one that eat aptasia.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only filefish that eats Aiptasia is the Aiptasia Eating Filefish, Acreichthys Tomentosus. filefish come in all shapes and sizes with different personalities and behaviors. the red tail filefish, Pervagor Janthinosoma. feeds on crustaceans and macroalgae.

if you want something that actually eats aiptasia, get a kuekenthali shrimp, related to peppermint shrimp but they actually do the job, i have one in my reef and i dont see any aiptasia ever.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Billyreef-ita

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the reading I have done they are not reef safe so I would skip them. I have a good walk with peppermint shrimp in the past, I would do some research and make sure the ones you have are in fact, the ones that eat up Tasia. There are a number of “peppermint shrimp“ being sold that are not the same species as the one that eat aptasia.
I investigated this and it seems that the Kuekenthali Shrimp type, together with Wudermanni is the right one.
Anyway if the Pervagor is not reef safe it's not worth risking. Thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Billyreef-ita

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only filefish that eats Aiptasia is the Aiptasia Eating Filefish, Acreichthys Tomentosus. filefish come in all shapes and sizes with different personalities and behaviors. the red tail filefish, Pervagor Janthinosoma. feeds on crustaceans and macroalgae.

if you want something that actually eats aiptasia, get a kuekenthali shrimp, related to peppermint shrimp but they actually do the job, i have one in my reef and i dont see any aiptasia ever.
Thanks! so maybe it's just a matter of time, I have both the Acreichthys Tomentosus and the Kuekenthali, cross fingers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Billyreef-ita

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s going well, after some weeks I started to see a reduction in the Aiptasia. It is something very slow but constant.
I think you’ll never win the battle but you can keep it under control.

It helps not to overfeed the fishes otherwise no chance they will look at Aiptasia

Upvote 0

Eldritch_blast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s going well, after some weeks I started to see a reduction in the Aiptasia. It is something very slow but constant.
I think you’ll never win the battle but you can keep it under control.

It helps not to overfeed the fishes otherwise no chance they will look at Aiptasia
My wrasses become buttheads if I don’t keep em fat and happy.

I keep getting conflicting reports on the filefish and really don’t want to risk a blastos I just love getting messed with. It’s just a big meatball I feel like a filefish wouldn’t be able to resist.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back