Pest Anemone?

W0terMoist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it on a rock that was shaded. It is completely translucent except for the tips of the tentacles which are white. Is it safe for a fish/invert only system?

20240212_202906.jpg 20240212_203027.jpg

Last edited:

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience-but I think it is a ball anemone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I found it on a rock that was shaded. It is completely translucent except for the tips of the tentacles which are white. Is it safe for a fish/invert only system?

20240212_202906.jpg 20240212_203027.jpg
Its a ball anemone and is reef safe. Unlike aptasia and Majano, I had one 3 years ago and it remained, had nice color and only one more ever emerged. They remain small and here is a puzzling fact as others stated they are a good anemone. Anemone ???
Ball Anemones are actually not anemones at all, it is actually a mushroom coral that is commonly confused by too many as a Majano Aiptasia. Unlike an Aiptasia, they are reef safe, they commonly stay closed during the day and open up at night. The tips if its anemone-like tentacles end with a ball tip giving it its' name

Last edited:

djohnson610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a ball anemone and is reef safe. Unlike aptasia and Majano, I had one 3 years ago and it remained, had nice color and only one more ever emerged. They remain small and here is a puzzling fact as others stated they are a good anemone. Anemone ???
Ball Anemones are actually not anemones at all, it is actually a mushroom coral that is commonly confused by too many as a Majano Aiptasia. Unlike an Aiptasia, they are reef safe, they commonly stay closed during the day and open up at night. The tips if its anemone-like tentacles end with a ball tip giving it its' name
Do you have any suggestions on how to control them? I noticed one a couple months ago. Then notice 5 or 6 during a water change. I tried to tweeze them off but they’re like jelly and I can’t grab them so I scrubbed them off. I’m up to around 20 now! They just keep popping up everywhere and scrubbing them off doesn’t appear to be working

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do you have any suggestions on how to control them? I noticed one a couple months ago. Then notice 5 or 6 during a water change. I tried to tweeze them off but they’re like jelly and I can’t grab them so I scrubbed them off. I’m up to around 20 now! They just keep popping up everywhere and scrubbing them off doesn’t appear to be working
Many desire them but simply using a pipette or syringe , mix kalkwasser powder into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into center core and they will disintegrate

djohnson610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many desire them but simply using a pipette or syringe , mix kalkwasser powder into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into center core and they will disintegrate
I’ll leave them if it’s okay…. I was just worried about how fast they were multiplying

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back