Pest snail?

TankMaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

can you help me identify this organism in my sump? I think it is some type of snail, but I am unsure if it is safe.
Thanks!
F96859F6-D300-4576-9F79-EC5A4AF7B6DC.jpeg
31593CBD-BBA0-4C40-A553-47359B8644E8.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning more toward these being limpets too.

Limpets and stomatella snails are both generally good CUC - there's some speculation about Keyhole Limpets possibly eating SPS corals (see below), but most limpets are confirmedly beneficial:
If yours is a keyhole limpet, I don't know that anyone has actually confirmed that they eat SPS (much like how people believe "Asterinas" - actually Aquilonstra - stars might eat their corals: they might, they might not, it might be species dependent or food availability dependent, it might be they're eating the slime coat/microalgae growing on the coral and actually helping the coral, it might be they're eating only unhealthy corals, etc. - we don't know for sure).

Keyhole limpets are fairly easy to identify by the "Keyhole" at the pinnacle of their shells (it basically looks like they have peephole/bullet hole at the top, typically in/near the center of their shell). So, you should be able to tell relatively easily if that's what you have.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back