PEST-spirorbid how to get rid of them!

Kelsey Fletcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an excessive amount of spirorbid and need to get rid of them as they are creating a chemical imbalance in the tank! please any input will help me!

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think these are usually considered a pest. What do you mean by "they are creating a chemical imbalance"?

OP
OP
K

Kelsey Fletcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think these are usually considered a pest. What do you mean by "they are creating a chemical imbalance"?
well they are covering everything and all over my live rock lol im calling them a pest because they are so annoying!! well my nitrates have gone up a lot since i first started noticing them and algae has been more abundant than ever before.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well they are covering everything and all over my live rock lol im calling them a pest because they are so annoying!! well my nitrates have gone up a lot since i first started noticing them and algae has been more abundant than ever before.
They are not the cause. They are just another result, like the algae or nitrate that is up, of an abundance of available nutrients. They are a harmless filter feeder and I’ve experienced their numbers increase rapidly but after a few months the population goes down to where you won’t consider them a pest. You can crush them or scrape them, but as long as there is food they will persist.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with @miPapareef . The spirobids are just another symptom of the problem, not the problem. How high is the nitrate? How many fish, what size tank, feeding schedule/amounts?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back