PETCO advice, 'Fire Fish Goby too aggressive to house with same species'

Fire Fish Goby: Aggressive?

• Yes, skilled fighters worthy of the controlled violence wing at Illinois' Marion Prison.

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • No, harmless hiders shouldn't be anywhere they can get eaten.

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Corporate isn't getting better at this.

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer you - more than a year. were there some squabbles - yes. Did they all make it - yes.
How much longer? They live to be 3+.

Because I have tried it in 8ft 850g tank with 20+ individuals, and an 11ft 1000g aquarium, and also a 120g with 12, as well as smaller groups in other sized tanks. In these cases they all invariably were reduced to a pr.

There may be exceptuons to rules, but it doesn't mean it is sound advice.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not the same schooling fish in our tanks. Lack of territories lack of free space, something about about a glass box makes most systems with more than 1 not in a true pair, eventually become just 1 surviving fish.

I agree with this 100% in general...

I WILL say, I have seen tanks with ONLY a pair of trio of Firefish seem to survive for awhile... I also know in several videos, Jake Adams has shown he has a shoal of 5 firefish and they have all gotten along for years now (unless hell broke loose recently).

That said, this is an outlier. EXTREMELY uncommon. I would not bet on it. It's either some extremely advanced husbandry, luck, or both.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My firefish is approaching 4 years old now, and she was grown when I got her.

I also have no clue if she's actually a she, everyone asks when I call her a 'her'. But as a docile, pretty, and calm fish we just call her a she.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slight change of subject. i wish they would hire people like this at my petco [emoji23]
Last time i was there a customer was talking about algae in his 10 gallon fw, and the sales associate was pointing out this bristle nose pleco as the solution.

The only question i am ever asked if i buy something marine, is “your tank is salt water, right”?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Because I have tried it in 8ft 850g tank with 20+ individuals, and an 11ft 1000g aquarium, and also a 120g with 12, as well as smaller groups in other sized tanks. In these cases they all invariably were reduced to a pr.

There may be exceptuons to rules, but it doesn't mean it is sound advice.

You asked me I answered. Both of our experiences are anecdotal. I never gave 'advice' per se - I suggested that the only way to attempt it was to use a large number of fish. I did not have a bad experience with it. You did. Ok - I bow to you lol:).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You asked me I answered. Both of our experiences are anecdotal. I never gave 'advice' per se - I suggested that the only way to attempt it was to use a large number of fish. I did not have a bad experience with it. You did. Ok - I bow to you lol:).
And BTW - lots of people have bad experience with it - because most people don't buy 10 of them at a time. But - I would say generally - you're correct - if you dont have enough room to buy a large number - its best to keep them singly:)

Thomasj616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have weird fish I guess.
I have 3 in my 125.
Have had them for a while. And I love them.
There is one larger then the others, but when I got them it was like this.
When I feed the tank the larger one will go get the other two if they are not out.
It’s great to see everyone getting along.
They are housed with a pair of clowns, a algae blenny, a yellow tang, a file fish, a watchman goby, a Panama cardinal, 3 cleaner shrimps, 2 blood shrimp and a few peppermint shrimp.

Thankfully my entire tank coexists
It’s awesome to see absolutely no aggression

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have weird fish I guess.
I have 3 in my 125.
Have had them for a while. And I love them.
There is one larger then the others, but when I got them it was like this.
When I feed the tank the larger one will go get the other two if they are not out.
It’s great to see everyone getting along.
They are housed with a pair of clowns, a algae blenny, a yellow tang, a file fish, a watchman goby, a Panama cardinal, 3 cleaner shrimps, 2 blood shrimp and a few peppermint shrimp.

Thankfully my entire tank coexists
It’s awesome to see absolutely no aggression
How long is awhile? That's a subjective determination of time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with this 100% in general...

I WILL say, I have seen tanks with ONLY a pair of trio of Firefish seem to survive for awhile... I also know in several videos, Jake Adams has shown he has a shoal of 5 firefish and they have all gotten along for years now (unless hell broke loose recently).

That said, this is an outlier. EXTREMELY uncommon. I would not bet on it. It's either some extremely advanced husbandry, luck, or both.

I think as @eatbreakfast has said - it was probably luck in my case as well. But - I do think there is some validity to keeping a large number in a larger tank. In my tank - It wasn't the filefish that were killing or fighting with each other - it was other larger fish that constantly chased them. But again - it is one anecdotal experience.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have 6 long term in my large tank and a trio in my 93 cube with no issues what so ever.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Or was this what they were thinking why it is dangerous??

christian-fish-fire-24314430.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back