Petco and marine fish

BahamaLlamaCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great post, thank you for opening up! A Petco I grew up grabbing crickets at for my geckos got a frag tank about 4-5 years ago. A FRAG TANK IN A PETCO?! I always loved stopping by to see if I could get a deal on a gem. They had a hobbyist, much like yourself, who cared about the animals and knew how to take care of them. That person has since left...and it is blatantly obvious. We were at home with the kids, visiting grandparents over the weekend and this is what I saw...

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great post, thank you for opening up! A Petco I grew up grabbing crickets at for my geckos got a frag tank about 4-5 years ago. A FRAG TANK IN A PETCO?! I always loved stopping by to see if I could get a deal on a gem. They had a hobbyist, much like yourself, who cared about the animals and knew how to take care of them. That person has since left...and it is blatantly obvious. We were at home with the kids, visiting grandparents over the weekend and this is what I saw...

I believe you were a little dramatic. I personally didn't see it as bad as you portrayed it, sure the frag tank needed some more flow and was having GHA issues. I saw many corals with polyps extended, even some encrusted to the rack. Even the xenia was pulsing!

Sure if petco was a reef exclusive store I would expect more ....my local reef store was very upset when he was selling a hairy frag to me...things aren't normally this bad he said...I then started to realize he was OCD.

I will venture to guess that most hobbiest have to deal with algae at some point...it is the most common post around here....other than "why corals are so over priced?"

Johnnynle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that video. I’m a subscriber lol

BahamaLlamaCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you were a little dramatic. I personally didn't see it as bad as you portrayed it, sure the frag tank needed some more flow and was having GHA issues. I saw many corals with polyps extended, even some encrusted to the rack. Even the xenia was pulsing!

Sure if petco was a reef exclusive store I would expect more ....my local reef store was very upset when he was selling a hairy frag to me...things aren't normally this bad he said...I then started to realize he was OCD.

I will venture to guess that most hobbiest have to deal with algae at some point...it is the most common post around here....other than "why corals are so over priced?"

Definitely a little overdramatic. And yes, I'm not saying that dealing with GHA isn't normal. I've battled it (and other nuisance algaes) a bunch. All I'm saying is that if you are selling a product it should look presentable. If they don't have to the time to keep the tank then don't carry coral. I can't imagine they are making any money on it anyway. I really do appreciate the feedback! Thank you for watching :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back