PetCo CaribSea Base Macro Rock 40lbs $35

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco has CaribSea Base Macro rock for sale, $34.99 a box, free shipping over $35. They put it on sale a few times a year and I always try to grab a few boxes.

1705858363990.png

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I don't need more rock, but I see this and I almost want to add more rock. I think I'm addicted to rock
Yeah I don't "NEED" any more rock but at these prices you just gotta get at least one box.

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting us know! I might pick up a box or two.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I don't need more rock, but I see this and I almost want to add more rock. I think I'm addicted to rock
Same. Mine just arrived. I’m impressed with the pieces.

What’s the best way to start a tank with this dry rock? I was reading the “old vs new” methods thread and it seems a lot of people that use dry rock have perpetual issues for a year or more, compared to using live rock. Yet other threads say this is the new way to do things and to use bottled bacteria.

Completely contradicts. Could I just take some extra 6-8” pieces of live rock from my current sump and stack it on this stuff in a new tank to seed it?

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best way to start a tank with this dry rock? I was reading the “old vs new” methods thread and it seems a lot of people that use dry rock have perpetual issues for a year or more, compared to using live rock. Yet other threads say this is the new way to do things and to use bottled bacteria.
Bottle Bacteria's work great.

Completely contradicts. Could I just take some extra 6-8” pieces of live rock from my current sump and stack it on this stuff in a new tank to seed it?
Yes you can seed it with LR from an existing tank, but with the positive bac that comes with the LR it also brings any issues the seed tank had. Bad bacteria, Parasites etc. Better off to just use bottled bacteria or a live sand like CaribSea OcenDirect. All the tanks I used this same Caribsea Base Rock that was in this sale, I would setup the scape I want with it then add CaribSea OceanDirect Live Sand. Tank is completely ready to go at that point. I would add fish on day one. I set up 6 tanks like this and none of them had any cycling issues. You are better off sticking to one bacteria source and not to try to stack them. If you will use live sand for your bacteria than use just that. If you use bottle bac, use just that bottle bac don't mix different types.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes you can seed it with LR from an existing tank, but with the positive bac that comes with the LR it also brings any issues the seed tank had. Bad bacteria, Parasites etc. Better off to just use bottled bacteria or a live sand like CaribSea OcenDirect. All the tanks I used this same Caribsea Base Rock that was in this sale, I would setup the scape I want with it then add CaribSea OceanDirect Live Sand. Tank is completely ready to go at that point. I would add fish on day one. I set up 6 tanks like this and none of them had any cycling issues. You are better off sticking to one bacteria source and not to try to stack them. If you will use live sand for your bacteria than use just that. If you use bottle bac, use just that bottle bac don't mix different types.
Seed tank would be my 75 gallon display reef which has no issues. I keep 4 rocks about 8-10 lbs each in my sump in a cryptic zone with no light. They are fully seeded and I could take two and put in the new tank to seed the new base rock. And take some extra base rock and put in the sump to get reseeded from my 75

I have two bags of that same sand but it’s been in a room temp closet for a few years and is no longer “live”. I could take a few cups of sand from my display and seed it.

And I can add some bottled bacteria. Any good recdomemdations that have proven success? Dr Tim’s?

I’ve used bio spira before with good results

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still use the sand just use it with that seed rock or with bottle bac. I like Fritz Turbo Start 900, but it needs to stay chilled so not as easy to order. Dr Tims is good.

You just want to use one source of bacteria to get started with. If you plan to wait a few weeks to add fish it won't matter which route you take. If you want to add fish sooner, I would seed with the LR.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a situation where Cardinal fish started nipping lps. They ate a new 4 head Duncan I added and killed it and now have their eyes on my 5 head banana holy grail torch. I witnessed them nip it and it retracted. I also suspect they ate a few acan polyps. So. The Cardinal fish need to go and I am setting up a replacement tank for them.

My sump seed rock is awesome

You can tell from my tank pics the tank is in excellent shape so I’m not worried about the seed rock from the sump. Tank water is only cloudy because I disturbed the sump bed a little to check out the rock I have

So I’ll use the sand in bags, a cup of sand from this 75g reef

Add the base rock and some seed rock. And I’ll add some base rock to my 75g’s sump to replace what I borrowed

My sump also has a media bag with seachem matrix in it. I could move that over as well

I’d like to get fish in asap. This will not house coral for a while but I do have 3 Cardinal fish I need to rehome asap.

556D8EB6-F655-4AD6-949B-07811FA5636C.jpeg B3EAB4AF-9051-45E5-BBF2-E39B7A034EF0.jpeg C98810A2-8E27-4B17-81AF-F3A809852C6E.jpeg 7EC9C12C-CFB4-48C3-9EB5-A948958DF892.jpeg 74E78662-AE7E-4CAE-ABC3-DABC8C82E6C9.jpeg C80D21AA-26C5-4BFC-A4BE-AD7A95DC6C40.jpeg

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a situation where Cardinal fish started nipping lps. They ate a new 4 head Duncan I added and killed it and now have their eyes on my 5 head banana holy grail torch. I witnessed them nip it and it retracted. I also suspect they ate a few acan polyps. So. The Cardinal fish need to go and I am setting up a replacement tank for them.

My sump seed rock is awesome
Looks good

So I’ll use the sand in bags, a cup of sand from this 75g reef

Add the base rock and some seed rock. And I’ll add some base rock to my 75g’s sump to replace what I borrowed
That will work
My sump also has a media bag with seachem matrix in it. I could move that over as well
Now THIS! This will really help. I keep bags of this in all my tanks.

I’d like to get fish in asap. This will not house coral for a while but I do have 3 Cardinal fish I need to rehome asap.

Only thing I would say holding you back form fish on day 1 is the sand silt/bio bloom that takes like 36 hours to clear up when you add the sand. You can still add the Cardinal's they just wont be very happy about it.

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m so glad I found this reply! I’m setting up a 40b this weekend. I did this exact same thing when I set up my first tank ( Fluval Evo) in October and added fish and corals after a week and had zero problems. I didn’t know any better and kind of followed my rules for freshwater. I need confirmation that what I did before wasn’t just “beginners luck”.

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use as a bacteria source?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back