Petco should not sell coral.

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically petco has the same rate of success as hobbyists do in general? Most fail after a short time, some have a modicum of success, and a few can actually keep their critters alive for several plus years? Did I just summarize petco and hobbyists ok when looking at individual stores and people?

Petco could very well be the reason many of us are here now. And it is not like lfs are the model of the aquarium world as we all know...
You nailed it! Nice job :p

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! That’s where I got my orange lobo! I’ve only had good experiences at this store. It’s not the typical Cyanobacteria swamp you see at others

Could just be not getting fish shipped yet, the one closest to me didn't have any fish last time I was there. No SW or FW.

FishGeist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick with Petco, is to go the same day and time their shipment arrives from the aquaculture facility. Pick what you want before the livestock is introduced to PetCo's store system. If anything, it just helps lessen the chance you will get a pest from their system. Not defending them, but the aquaculture facility they get thier stuff from here in Florida is pretty decent.

Last edited:

Kjeldh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The saltwater inventory in my towns Petco pathetic. Half their tanks are always under quarantine with consistent ich outbreaks. Fortunately they don't stock any inverts. Much of this is attributed to their untrained staff.

Noob_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The saltwater inventory in my towns Petco pathetic. Half their tanks are always under quarantine with consistent ich outbreaks. Fortunately they don't stock any inverts. Much of this is attributed to their untrained staff.
Unfortunately this is quite common in some areas

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically petco has the same rate of success as hobbyists do in general? Most fail after a short time, some have a modicum of success, and a few can actually keep their critters alive for several plus years? Did I just summarize petco and hobbyists ok when looking at individual stores and people?

Petco could very well be the reason many of us are here now. And it is not like lfs are the model of the aquarium world as we all know...

Spot on. I've definitely gotten some good advice from Petco employees, especially in hindsight as I was asking questions early on when I didn't know much about the hobby. Any LFS can be just as shady as a bad Petco and I think it really comes down to the individual store as well as the people running the saltwater section.

However, I have heard some troubling accounts from Petco employees saying they aren't allowed to treat their fish, even when they know the have a disease and/or parasite. But realistically we should all be quarantining our fish and corals anyways, so that may be a moot point for some. I know once my QT is up and running and I'm more confident in my ability to treat diseased fish, I'll likely consider purchasing from my local Petco if the price is right.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 15.00 pet co Goni. About a year old now

D13D95D6-27A4-4D6E-9BC6-31AADBA602E4.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back