Petco water quality

Klbertin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know you are all going to judge me for this decision, but I made a purchase from petco of two turbo snails to try and get some coraline algae transferred to the dry rock in my tank.
Heres the situation, I wanted to see the quality of there water, so I tested for PH, Ammonia, NO2, NO3, and the salinity.
Here are the results
PH- above 8.8 it was so dark purple, it had to be in the 9s
Ammonia- not so terrible, but it was slightly above 0 ppm, something around 0.25 ppm
NO2- was good, 0 ppm
NO3- was so dark red that my 160 ppm chart color looked pink compared to how dark this was
Salinity- was at 1.015

I consider this to be animal cruelty in all aspects of the word, and think that they should be held accountable for their actions.
What do you all think?

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never buy from them ever for this exact reason. As much attention to detail this hobby takes, I've always thought there's no way a 16yr old kid working a summer job will be able to maintain a saltwater display system to the correct water quality.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be accountable for the inhabitants - absolutely. No different than we are.
Still are we all subject to the same straits of animal cruelty everytime we overdose, under-dose, be complacent.

I think it would be fair to raise it with them. Then if in two weeks it's not been addresses to flag it further.

There is no harm in that.

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a few fish from a LFS and tested the salinity... it was over 1.030

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 there are many places like it. Heck how do you think they are treated at wholesalers or even caught to begin with.

Most new aquarists are effectively given a license to kill just under the guise of getting it right.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One water/test sample from one store does not provide a large enough sample group to make blanket statement about any retailer. Not all Petco are the same. I am not ashamed to buy fish and inverts from my local store.

My preference would be to speak to the store manager just in case they are not aware. Provide information regarding correct husbandry and educate whenever possible.

Low SG is a common practice because it's thought that a low SG prevents or treats parasites. The problem arises when a hobbyist tries to introduce a fish from such a low SG to a system running a much higher SG possibly causing osmolality shock.

If you want to get someones attention with regard to water quality you're going to have to do multiple test from multiple systems and multiple stores and then compare other retailers. Big box pet stores have been dealing with bad labels for years, some local fish stores have their issues with water quality as well. All you can do as an advocate for improved husbandry is let your wallet do the talking and educate when able.

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do this when I want corals now ;)

18055847_1443798752347560_1573919512229491152_o.jpg

OP
OP
Klbertin

Klbertin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Highly agree Tahoe61, and I did reach out to their headquarters to inform them of such issues that need to be handled at this particular store, I was told they would contact store management and try to correct the problem. Then in the same sentence she told me that they do not refund on any saltwater livestock, I informed her that I had no losses at this time, and that the call was not an attempt to procure a refund, just to try to educate as you said.
Then she said what do you want us to do?
That's what provoked me to start this thread, a kind of a way to vent.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Highly agree Tahoe61, and I did reach out to their headquarters to inform them of such issues that need to be handled at this particular store, I was told they would contact store management and try to correct the problem. Then in the same sentence she told me that they do not refund on any saltwater livestock, I informed her that I had no losses at this time, and that the call was not an attempt to procure a refund, just to try to educate as you said.
Then she said what do you want us to do?
That's what provoked me to start this thread, a kind of a way to vent.

Oh I get it and understand the need to vent. It's also refreshing to know that you reached out to management.

When the manager said "what do you want us to do" provide better care and practice humane husbandry would have been my answer.

It's extremely frustrating when retailers care more about the profit than the animals they make that profit from, but not all Petco operate in that manner, so frequent the ones that provide adequate care and avoid those that don't, and offer solutions when employees seem receptive to the information. The employee providing maintenance and care to those tanks often cares more then upper management unfortunately.

OP
OP
Klbertin

Klbertin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I get it and understand the need to vent. It's also refreshing to know that you reached out to management.

When the manager said "what do you want us to do" provide better care and practice humane husbandry would have been my answer.

It's extremely frustrating when retailers care more about the profit than the animals they make that profit from, but not all Petco operate in that manner, so frequent the ones that provide adequate care and avoid those that don't, and offer solutions when employees seem receptive to the information. The employee providing maintenance and care to those tanks often cares more then upper management unfortunately.
I like the answer you would have given, and will remember that for a future response if the same situation should arise in the future, I unfortunately have no other avenues available to me here, as there are no longer any LFS (fresh or salt) in my area, and will rely on the online stores that I have in the past.
To all that have responded thanks for letting me vent.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the answer you would have given, and will remember that for a future response if the same situation should arise in the future, I unfortunately have no other avenues available to me here, as there are no longer any LFS (fresh or salt) in my area, and will rely on the online stores that I have in the past.
To all that have responded thanks for letting me vent.

I live 45 miles one way from the nearest LFS which definitely plays a part in my choice to buy from the local Petco. My local store tanks go through stages based on which employee is in charge. For the most part though the employees that I have interacted with are hobbyist themselves, typically new hobbyist, they love talking reefing so it's easy to engage them.

:)

Peter Blue Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had a "No Petco Fish" policy. The one where I live actually has an employee that knows what hes doing and the fish and soft corals they sell look very healthy. Realistically I don't take care of my fish and corals. I just take care of the environment and through some chum in there twice a day. I still don't buy from them though. Just salt and Sea Chem.

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had a "No Petco Fish" policy. The one where I live actually has an employee that knows what hes doing and the fish and soft corals they sell look very healthy. Realistically I don't take care of my fish and corals. I just take care of the environment and through some chum in there twice a day. I still don't buy from them though. Just salt and Sea Chem.
The Petco in Rochester is also very nice and the corals they have are nice and maintained. They had a beautiful eel the last time I was there and my dad picked up some ORA orange zoas for a really nice price. I guess its more or less the area you live in

ECOKid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say here in STL,MO theres a petsmart that the tanks look incredible. I actually complimented the guy, who then told me he overwatches all FW and SW tanks. He also had an extensive background in reeftanks. Did i buy anything? No. Petco and petsmart do more than maintain SW tanks crappily. Where they get their animals such as reptiles, fish and other animals, is despicable. So im about to move away from petco/smart for more than their tank negligence.

borrowedlight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at a competing pet store that does not sell marine stuff but we do have fresh water fish. It is our policy to test the water twice a week and record results/make adjustments as necessary. These records are turned in to the pet care lead and then to the manager which can be looked at by the DM at any time. It's a serious thing.

It's good that you called, as I'm sure their manager will be notified and if associates had been slacking on testing it is sure to be watched more closely now. That being said, don't generalize ever big box pet store, some of the employees actually do care and know their stuff. Of course, they are at the limitations of store policies but my point is some are going to be better than others. For example, at my Petco the guy that works in the fish department is clearly a well educated hobbyist and I'd trust purchasing from there. In fact, the clown I recently bought looks wonderful.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quickly did you test the water? I'd give a little leeway to the numbers based on how long the snails had been in stagnant water.

Slickwill613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, hell yeah. Next time just go in with a small folding table and start testing the water right in store! Record results on a big white board while explaining to all passerby how bad or good or whatever it is! Make sure to have a friend upload live to something so that when you make bond you can link it here! Go big or go home!

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate ALL BIG BOX stores that don't take care of there animal not just fish but ALL. The only thing that I would buy from petco is the dollar gallon sale tanks. That's it. In my area they sell reef crystal in the pale for 80 bucks. That's a total rip off. When you can get the box that makes 200 gallon for only 50. How's the mark up on that.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back