Ph and alk while out of town

Oshanickreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am currently out of town and noticed my alk dropping fast. Before I left it was 9.5 and two days later it is at 6.77. My ph has climbed at a similar rate.
I have ramped up my kalk dosage from 8300ml to 11000ml to hopefully get my alk to go up but so far increasing my kalk dose hasn’t had an effect on my alk.
Does it make sense that my ph would climb as alk is dropping? I understand that since nobody is in the house the ph will go up and in the past I have had to increase dosing or kalk. But this seems excessive and I’m not seeing any change. I’m nervous with my alk getting so low and not going to be home for a few more days.
Tank is acro heavy

thanks

nick

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am currently out of town and noticed my alk dropping fast. Before I left it was 9.5 and two days later it is at 6.77. My ph has climbed at a similar rate.
I have ramped up my kalk dosage from 8300ml to 11000ml to hopefully get my alk to go up but so far increasing my kalk dose hasn’t had an effect on my alk.
Does it make sense that my ph would climb as alk is dropping? I understand that since nobody is in the house the ph will go up and in the past I have had to increase dosing or kalk. But this seems excessive and I’m not seeing any change. I’m nervous with my alk getting so low and not going to be home for a few more days.
Tank is acro heavy

thanks

nick

It makes sense that pH climbs when no one is home, and that raised pH increases demand for alk by increasing both abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate and coral calcification.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can somebody go by and drop some baking soda in there? ...just figure the amount with an online calculator, stir some into a cup and drop it into your ATO reservoir or just into the tank?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I now use an alkatronic.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back