OP
OP
P

Panicked Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to get into chasing a specific number. I just want to provide the best possible number I can realistically can obtain.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to get into chasing a specific number. I just want to provide the best possible number I can realistically can obtain.
"Best" is relative. Every tank is different; If your tank is doing well and the pH is within range (right now it is), then let it be. Keep watching for changes and trends, but IMO, when a system reaches an equilibrium that is easy to maintain, this stability is more important than any specific number.

:)

OP
OP
P

Panicked Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a cup of tank water, ph was at 7.9 placed a bubbler in it for an hr and tested again it pegged my Hanna checker. Took another cup ph of 8.0 bubbled that next to my tank and got 8.0. I ran a temp line out the door to my skimmer and am going to test the tank in a few hrs.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a cup of tank water, ph was at 7.9 placed a bubbler in it for an hr and tested again it pegged my Hanna checker. Took another cup ph of 8.0 bubbled that next to my tank and got 8.0. I ran a temp line out the door to my skimmer and am going to test the tank in a few hrs.

Sounds like a fine plan, but it may take a while to see the full effect.

OP
OP
P

Panicked Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a fine plan, but it may take a while to see the full effect.
It's my understanding that it will be more of a trend up over a few days. My plan is to check it several times over the next few days and make sure it's going the right direction. I imagine it's common to see a decrease in bubbles in my skimmer? It's still skimming it just seems slightly diminished. Not sure if that is going to pose a problem or not going forward.

View Badges
Looking out for ? Your tank is fine a year it's ok, people want high ph to grow corals fast never understood that since most don't sell them just wasted money to Keep that ph more stable ,ph goes up and down is ok the animals adjust to it and that is stable to them. Look at the tank if it looks good leave it alone.

OP
OP
P

Panicked Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking out for ? Your tank is fine a year it's ok, people want high ph to grow corals fast never understood that since most don't sell them just wasted money to Keep that ph more stable ,ph goes up and down is ok the animals adjust to it and that is stable to them. Look at the tank if it looks good leave it
My tank is a lil over a year. In this year I've kept some corals and lost some. I attributed the losses to an extended battle with dino. The dinos have subsided. My corals are alive. They are growing. Being new to the hobby I thought the pain staking slow growth rate I have is normal. I understand corals don't grow at a rapid rate but I thought the rate I was seeing abnormally slow. I recently went on vacation. When I came home the difference in growth that took place in that 2 weeks exceeded all of the growth prior. My parameters were all reasonably the same. Caveat, I manually test. I can not afford a monitor at this time. The only thing I am coming up with is the only co2 in the house for those 2 weeks is the few mins my dad would be there checking the tank and feeding the fish. Between this, my RS test perpetually reading 8.2, and planing to get into dosing kalkwasser prompted me to get another ph test. This test was wildly off from what I was reading. This has since been confirmed by using 3rd test that coincides with the hanna. Also, I preformed the cup test. The hanna read flashing 8.6 and the rs stilk read 8.2. I understand manipulating PH levels to try and make them a specific number is about as practical as catching a fart in a windstorm. I'm not looking for a specific number. I'm looking at it as I apparently have excessively low PH in my tank. If I utilize the best practices to improve ph it will increase the ph. I'm not so much concerned what the number is as I am in that's the best number I can provide. Like anything else I want to do the best I can.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with Hanna is possibly calibration. The problem with RS is possibly color interpretation by the operator. Men are particularly subject to color blind issues.

I have app on my phone call "Aquarium Note." There is a tool for interpreting color on charts. You snap a pic of the sample color (A), then snap a pic of the chart lower than the sample (B), then snap a pic of the chart higher than the sample (C). The app will then tell you which chart color is closer to your sample color and by how much. It seems very consistent to me.
Cool I need this as I hate asking my wife or daughters what color is this…‍

Back