pH fluctuation. Yet another post...

MexiReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Do younguys belive this is a problem? Normally my pH ranges from 8.2 to 8.6 daily.
It is a 25gal system, daily dosage of alk and calcium. Refugium with chaeto with 12 hours light cycle opposed to tank lights

any comment will be appreciated
C333040D-017B-4D3E-9AE6-6B21143620FE.png

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
MexiReefer

MexiReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I recalibrated just now. Will post results.

i donot dose near the probe. Normally dose in the tank close to the wavemakers and the probes are in the sump.
Thanks again

Galactic Coral Live Sale
OP
MexiReefer

MexiReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I recalibrated @Randy Holmes-Farley and still have a 8.75 pH reading. See below.

My question is if this high pH is the cause of having some sad corals in my tank: fully retracted Micromusas, bleaching favias and melting zoas. other inhabitants seems undisturbed like clams, anemone bubble corals, etc.

thanks for any input and happy to add information

C505D4F4-1E8B-4088-8757-23C02C4D760E.png

arking_mark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So, I don't think your pH reading is correct unless you are over-dosing a high-pH supplement/additive or keeping your alkalinity very high or heavy CO2 scrubbing.

The fact that you are seeing a 0.3 day/night swing is typical for many reefers. Although it probably shouldn't swing that much with a reverse lighting schedule refugium.

What additives are you using?
How are you aerating your tank?
Have you tried your probe on freshly mixed artificial salt water to see it's pH?

Last edited:

GillMeister

View Badges
Reaction score
You recalibrated it but did you check for interference? If this was an effect from dosing I have to believe it wouldn't be consistently in the pH range your Apex shows it. Did you verify pH with a test kit?

You're smart enough to realize if something looks wrong, it must be wrong. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking the questions you're asking. Something has got to be wrong with the pH reading.

Are your corals ever subjected to the open air with no water for water changes or tank maintenance?

• Yes and I wish I had planned my aquascape better

Votes: 27 12.2%
  • Yes even though I planned my aquascape for the possibilty

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • No as I planned for this not to happen

Votes: 54 24.4%
  • No not yet and I haven't planned for it

Votes: 59 26.7%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 17 7.7%
SP