PH in QT vs LFS

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my LFS keeps the ph for fish at an SG of 1.018. My QT is at 1.026. I have read that it is best to match my QT ph to the same as the LFS, true? On temp, I would assume that the temp is going to change in the transport bag so do I drip acclimate to adjust for QT temp?

Now, once I have QT’d the fish and put them in to the DT, what’s the best way to adjust the QT or transport bag for PH?

Thanks In Advance,
Steve

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think you mean salinity not pH. Either way, you can slowly get both salinity and pH to match by drip acclimating over a few hours. I personally drop the bag into the tank to temp acclimate for about 20 min. Then I empty the bagged fish into a bucket. Last, I drip acclimate for about 2 hours before I put the fish into the Qt.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve you can float the bag to adjust to temp change in transit, but in particle it really shouldn’t drop that much unless your in Alaska:). You normally match the sg of your qt and lfs so there is less stress on the Fish. Just simple raise your qt tank over time to match your display tank. It’s normally the easiest and less stressful on the Fish. You shouldn’t really have to worry too much about ph when you buy fish from lfs.

anthonys51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy you can second this. You also don’t want to add the water to your qt correct? It can have a build up of ammonia especially if fish have been in bag for extended period.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy you can second this. You also don’t want to add the water to your qt correct? It can have a build up of ammonia especially if fish have been in bag for extended period.

I would not add the store water because of concern transferring diseases.

Also, a fish in a bag for an extended period has built up ammonia, and is probably partly protected from the ammonia by the low pH in the bag due to release of CO2 from the fish lowering pH.

If you drip acclimate, you risk raising the toxic free ammonia.

Dumping the old water into the QT brings along the ammonia. Whether that is an issue or not depends on the dilution factor.

If you can match the salinity and temp, take the fish out of the old water and plop it directly into the clean water, without drip acclimation.

That all said, a quick trip from an LFS is probably not generating that much ammonia. It is shipping creatures where that becomes a bigger issue.

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! And yes, I meant salinity not ph! Ok, to make sure I do this right:

1. Do not use the store water.
2. Over time, match the salinity and temp of the QT to the LFS salinity and the temp of the bag, right? This will be done a few days prior to fish purchase.
3. Once matched, just put the fish in the QT without drip acclimation.
4. When QT is complete: Over time, match the salinity and temp of my QT to my display.
5. Repeat #3.

Correct? Miss anything?

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#2. I guess I cannot match the temp of the bag until I get it home, so match the temp to the LFS???

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#2. I guess I cannot match the temp of the bag until I get it home, so match the temp to the LFS???

Floating the bag can do that. matching to the LFS may not be optimal since the bag may cool on the way home.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! And yes, I meant salinity not ph! Ok, to make sure I do this right:

1. Do not use the store water.
2. Over time, match the salinity and temp of the QT to the LFS salinity and the temp of the bag, right? This will be done a few days prior to fish purchase.
3. Once matched, just put the fish in the QT without drip acclimation.
4. When QT is complete: Over time, match the salinity and temp of my QT to my display.
5. Repeat #3.

Correct? Miss anything?

Sounds good. :)

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect and it sounds pretty easy.

Now that I have sound advice and a good plan, the rest of it should be a piece of cake....lol...assuming Murphy does not creep into the tank!

Thanks again to all!
Steve

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I do have a few more questions. My LFS keeps their tanks at an SG of 1.024 but recommended I bring my QT SG to around 1.018. I understand this will keep some parasites etc at bay. But, upon putting the fish in the QT, will it stress the fish if I take them from 1.024 to 1.018 and then after QTing, put them in my DT where the SG is 1.026? All this in a matter of 45ish days (along w copper/praz treatment)? If I set my QT at 1.018, I have to drip acclimate, right? I assume since the LFS is only 10 minutes from my house, that there should be no NH3 issues. I have never drip acclimated (heck, I have never transferred a fish from a bag), so are there any tips? Do I just drip until the temp is the same and the SG is at 1.018....I would think that to go from 1.024 to 1.018 would take a lot of water. BTW, I will be QTing two Percula Clowns and possibly a Benghai.

Or, do I just set my QT to 1.024 and call it a day?

Thanks!
Steve

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice from @anthonys51

It's not too complicated if you have a dedicated QT tank. Get the fish home and float it for 10-15 minutes to temperature acclimate. After that 10-15 minutes, test the salinity of the water in the bag. Adjust the QT salinity up or down until the QT salinity matches what's in the bag. Then, dump the fish in, keeping as much of the bag water out of the tank as possible.

Some inverts are more sensitive and may require a different acclimation procedure, but for most fish, the above procedure is ideal.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people qt differently. I set it to the incoming salinity and raised it to tank salinity. I never drove it low to treat anything without knowing if it was even needed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back