PH keeps dropping (day 3 of fishless cycling)

fishnooblet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first saltwater tank. Started with Dr. Tim’s One and Only. Everything seems to be going well except my PH keeps getting lower. Based on API test kit, it started around 8.5, then yesterday 8, now it’s coming in around 7.5. I have turned on my protien skimmer today as I read that can help. Beyond that I’m at a loss on what to do and don’t what to use the PH boosting agents and would rather fix the problem.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first saltwater tank. Started with Dr. Tim’s One and Only. Everything seems to be going well except my PH keeps getting lower. Based on API test kit, it started around 8.5, then yesterday 8, now it’s coming in around 7.5. I have turned on my protien skimmer today as I read that can help. Beyond that I’m at a loss on what to do and don’t what to use the PH boosting agents and would rather fix the problem.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Are you using ammonia additions?

Jay

OP
OP
F

fishnooblet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Are you using ammonia additions?

Jay
I have been. I’m using the Dr. Tim’s ammonia drops…following the directions from their website, I have dosed ammonia twice now. Currently it reads .5 now down from 2 yesterday. No nitrites and 10 nitrates.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave that skimmer on all of the time for gas exchange. Have a loved on hide that pH test kit from you for a few months. Even after the first part of the cycle is getting established your pH still might be low since won't have any living things to help with the photosynthetic bumb, which can be about .2 in most tanks.

OP
OP
F

fishnooblet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave that skimmer on all of the time for gas exchange. Have a loved on hide that pH test kit from you for a few months. Even after the first part of the cycle is getting established your pH still might be low since won't have any living things to help with the photosynthetic bumb, which can be about .2 in most tanks.
Yea i definitely feel over teched and under educated. But those forums are helping in that regard.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back