When should nitrites start showing up during a cycle?

Jicklenop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, brand new tank owner and going through my cycle. I started it last Saturday (doing a fishless cycle with Dr Tim's Ammonia chloride and one and only). So far I've only seen the Ammonia climb (read around 3-3.5ppm on api test), nitrites have remained at 0. I can't seem to find anywhere online as to when they should start to appear on a test and just want to be sure that there is nothing to worry about with my cycle. I had one day where my Temps dropped to 73 because my heater stopped working (had a spare and another on the way), would that cause any issues with the cycle? Thanks in advance for any help

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the drop in temp wasnt long, then no issues.
You should start seeing Nitrite soon, BUT IMO, I would only test for Nitrates....once those show up, you know you're done...(alot of people wont agree) Give it at least another week...but usually, nitrites start showing up (if using additives) in 7ish days

OP
OP
J

Jicklenop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp drop was about a working days time, I had just gotten a new titanium heater and hooked it into my temp controller and left for work. When I got home the tank was 73. Changed it out right after that and got it back to temp.

Yes, I added one bottle of Dr tims one and only

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp drop was about a working days time, I had just gotten a new titanium heater and hooked it into my temp controller and left for work. When I got home the tank was 73. Changed it out right after that and got it back to temp.

Yes, I added one bottle of Dr tims one and only
Ok, nitrites are irrelevant in reef tanks and don't need to be tested. What you are looking for is nitrates. Once you see measurable nitrates your tank is cycling. You can further verify by adding ammonia again and if it reads 0 after 24 hours and you show good nitrates number then your cycling.

folittle88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the drop in temp wasnt long, then no issues.
You should start seeing Nitrite soon, BUT IMO, I would only test for Nitrates....once those show up, you know you're done...(alot of people wont agree) Give it at least another week...but usually, nitrites start showing up (if using additives) in 7ish days
Hello what about if my Ammonia ppm has been 8.0 since start of cycle with Nitrite&Nitrate-0 for days 1-5, then Day 6 Ammonia remains 8.0 and nitrites 0.5ppm and Nitrate-20 ppm? Please help. Fish in cycle. Have 3 clownfish and they have been swimming normal, eating normal, showing no effects. 150g 6ft long tank

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello what about if my Ammonia ppm has been 8.0 since start of cycle with Nitrite&Nitrate-0 for days 1-5, then Day 6 Ammonia remains 8.0 and nitrites 0.5ppm and Nitrate-20 ppm? Please help. Fish in cycle. Have 3 clownfish and they have been swimming normal, eating normal, showing no effects. 150g 6ft long tank
Then I would get a second opinion on the test kit......take a sample of water to LFS to test (Petco even does it for free).....

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to start your own thread. It gets confusing when jumping on someone else's.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back