PH problems.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I went from kalk and supplementing alk, to full 2 part...but now I have a new problem...my PH has been steadily dropping and my co2 scrubber can barely keep up.... any recommendations? I have my alk pretty much balanced out, but can't keep my ph up! I'm using reef fusion 1 and 2

Screenshot_20210818-205834_APEX Fusion.jpg

Last edited:

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recirculate scrubber air through skimmer cup?

Also has there been a recent change in the environment - closed windows due to heatwave and air conditioning? Has the CO2 increase in your home recently?

Finally when was the last time you changed CO2 Media?

Trying to rule out other things before landing on the Kalk keeping the pH up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also has there been a recent change in the environment - closed windows due to heatwave and air conditioning? Has the CO2 increase in your home recently?

I run it through the skimmer. And I even added my second scrubber. Doesnt seem to be making a difference. I try to hold it around 8.3-8.4 but now that I'm off the kalk it dropped

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run it through the skimmer. And I even added my second scrubber. Doesnt seem to be making a difference. I try to hold it around 8.3-8.4 but now that I'm off the kalk it dropped
You can always dose a bit of Kalk and a reduced 2 part, if the pH concerns you. However, the levels you are at are not harmful. Personally I like it higher, as do you.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always dose a bit of Kalk and a reduced 2 part, if the pH concerns you. However, the levels you are at are not harmful. Personally I like it higher, as do you.

I was thinking about if it may be worth picking up a kalk reactor. I figured the Fusion part 2 would keep my PH up enough but apparently not -_-

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would say yes Co2 has probably increased in the home due to California burning right now. However the drop aligns with removing the kalk so thats why I'm thinking it was that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the pH higher, you can replace the sodium carbonate in the two part with sodium hydroxide. It has twice the pH boost per unit of alk added, and matches kalkwasser in pH boost.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the pH higher, you can replace the sodium carbonate in the two part with sodium hydroxide. It has twice the pH boost per unit of alk added, and matches kalkwasser in pH boost.

Do you recommend any brands? Also, you state it gets warm? Will that cause issues with my dosing containers?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend any brands? Also, you state it gets warm? Will that cause issues with my dosing containers?

Any food grade is good. You can melt a plastic container if you try to make it too concentrated. Use all of the water at the start and add the sodium hydroxide slowly.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 125 75.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back