pH question

MayteAnahi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm new to the saltwater hobby and I'm still learning but I tested my water today and was wondering if a pH of 7.5 is good. I just added my biological bacteria yesterday and I was thinking it was a reaction in the tank. Around 4 days ago my pH was 8.0. It'd be helpful if you guys can help me

Thank you[emoji173]

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a new tank I would just keep an eye on it as it could well be testing error, so maybe test again in a few days and see what the result is

A pH of 7.5 is not ideal as it wants to be around 8 but if your learning still and it was previously 8 just watch it and see how it changes. If a result looks odd don’t act on it until you have double checked it.

And welcome to R2R as well!

OP
OP
MayteAnahi

MayteAnahi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a new tank I would just keep an eye on it as it could well be testing error, so maybe test again in a few days and see what the result is

A pH of 7.5 is not ideal as it wants to be around 8 but if your learning still and it was previously 8 just watch it and see how it changes. If a result looks odd don’t act on it until you have double checked it.

And welcome to R2R as well!
Thank you so much[emoji173]. I'll be reviewing if I read it wrong. I'm planning on getting some clownfish and maybe a yellow watchman goby and I want my fish to be healthly and happy.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R MayteAnahi. How far along are you in the nitrogen process or is this an established tank?

NSW depending on location will vary between 7.5 and 8.4 and SPR1968 gave you some good advice. It would be good to see it ~8

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R first of all.
As for your pH question, you could maintain a saltwater aquarium at that pH, however, you would want to maintain a higher alkalinity level of atleast 7dKH(2.5 meg/L). This comes from Randy Holmes-Farley, professional chemist, who is a household name within the saltwater hobby and will be your safety net as far as water parameters are concerned.
I would try to bring your pH up to 8.0-8.4 however.
Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
MayteAnahi

MayteAnahi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R first of all.
As for your pH question, you could maintain a saltwater aquarium at that pH, however, you would want to maintain a higher alkalinity level of atleast 7dKH(2.5 meg/L). This comes from Randy Holmes-Farley, professional chemist, who is a household name within the saltwater hobby and will be your safety net as far as water parameters are concerned.
I would try to bring your pH up to 8.0-8.4 however.
Best of luck to you!
How can I bring my pH up? I'm sorry I'm asking alot of questions I'm just new to this.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats in the tank so far? How old ? PH varies over the day I have a probe and during peek hours of my lights my PH hits about ~8.4 but at night it drops to about 8.1. Keep in mind that many things affect your Ph as simple as having an open window for good constant oxygen ventilation in the room can affect it. I have a cracked window in my apt all day which keeps my Ph high if I close all my windows I see the drop immediately the next day to about 7.8-8.2 lowest to top.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I bring my pH up? I'm sorry I'm asking alot of questions I'm just new to this.
Simply opening doors and windows should raise the pH a little depending on your situation, but again don’t panic, retest in a few days and see how you go

I wouldn’t personally try and intervene to mess with increasing pH at this stage otherwise unless you know what your doing you will cause all sorts of potential issues.

While your waiting read some of the articles on it.

Here is an excellent one although it may make your head hurt! Lol

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We are here to help with questions. :) You've been getting good advice including the window open a bit which is a fact.

Do you have an LFS nearby to check your parameters or do you have test kits?

OP
OP
MayteAnahi

MayteAnahi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are here to help with questions. :) You've been getting good advice including the window open a bit which is a fact.

Do you have an LFS nearby to check your parameters or do you have test kits?
Yes I've gotten test kits of course. I'm still buying things. So far I've gotten my heater,power head,live sand,live rocks, lights for my coral I'm planning to get and the test kits although I feel like I'm missing something

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I've gotten test kits of course. I'm still buying things. So far I've gotten my heater,power head,live sand,live rocks, lights for my coral I'm planning to get and the test kits although I feel like I'm missing something
Do you have any pics you could share, please?

OP
OP
MayteAnahi

MayteAnahi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics you could share, please?
I haven't installed my powerhead yet but I've got most things in my tank already
20181116_113455.jpeg

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R Mayte !!! Basically you just start the cycling right? What biological bacteria are you using?

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a hang on biological wheel filter on the top of your tank? If not, you definitely need a filter! Protein skimmer would be ideal, though you could get by without one IF your diligent with regards to weekly water changes and water parameter stability.
Being that you are new to the saltwater hobby, a protein skimmer would be your best bet, in my opinion.
As for asking a lot of questions...that is the best way to learn and the only stupid question is the one you didn’t ask because you thought it was stupid!
Best of luck to you in your marine endeavor as it truly is a beautiful and rewarding hobby.
One other thing I forgot to mention...I see your using a biological booster to break down waste, however, you need to have something in your tank to feed the bacteria. A piece of frozen shrimp dropped into your tank works wonderfully.

OP
OP
MayteAnahi

MayteAnahi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a hang on biological wheel filter on the top of your tank? If not, you definitely need a filter! Protein skimmer would be ideal, though you could get by without one IF your diligent with regards to weekly water changes and water parameter stability.
Being that you are new to the saltwater hobby, a protein skimmer would be your best bet, in my opinion.
As for asking a lot of questions...that is the best way to learn and the only stupid question is the one you didn’t ask because you thought it was stupid!
Best of luck to you in your marine endeavor as it truly is a beautiful and rewarding hobby.
One other thing I forgot to mention...I see your using a biological booster to break down waste, however, you need to have something in your tank to feed the bacteria. A piece of frozen shrimp dropped into your tank works wonderfully.
It's cartridge filter although If it's better to get a wheel filter I'll definitely buy one for sure. I will look into the protein skimmer to see how much they cost. For the frozen shrimp how long will I need it to be in there.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get a full tank picture? One of your whole setup?
A skimmer will be ~$50-$100 depending on what size tank you have. (What’s size tank do you have?)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back