pH question

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's cartridge filter although If it's better to get a wheel filter I'll definitely buy one for sure. I will look into the protein skimmer to see how much they cost. For the frozen shrimp how long will I need it to be in there.
For the length of the cycling period which roughly lasts about 3-4 weeks. You will want to test your water parameters to be sure when your tank has cycled completely.
Cartridge or bio wheel filters are pretty similar. Definitely look into the protein skimmer though and buy one that is atleast the recommended to handle the size of your tank.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to your OP on Ph, don’t stress it yet since you’re still cycling the tank. Do a test a few hours after lights are off and a few hours after they are on to have a general idea of the swing on your tank but still early to stress it. Here’s a pic of my swing so that you could have a general idea of how ph varies through the day. But I wouldn’t stress this yet I have a feeling once algae and other living organisms take hold on your tank after the cycle it will probably come up a bit

1B16CC9C-5C7F-4456-B73D-77BCEC126221.png

2CF4F453-746B-4524-9645-666BB2F6D607.png

OP
OP
MayteAnahi

MayteAnahi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging from the picture that looks like a nano tank. What size / shape is it? What corals are you planning to grow?
Yes it's nano tank I'm not trying to have a big tank while I'm a beginner. It's 3 gallon tall and I'm still looking into corals I'm kinda scared to start them off in my tank

OP
OP
MayteAnahi

MayteAnahi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get a full tank picture? One of your whole setup?
A skimmer will be ~$50-$100 depending on what size tank you have. (What’s size tank do you have?)
Definitely after I set my power head up. It's a 3 gallon tall

OP
OP
MayteAnahi

MayteAnahi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the length of the cycling period which roughly lasts about 3-4 weeks. You will want to test your water parameters to be sure when your tank has cycled completely.
Cartridge or bio wheel filters are pretty similar. Definitely look into the protein skimmer though and buy one that is atleast the recommended to handle the size of your tank.
I'll definitely be getting a protein skimmer. Do they sell them in a local petstore such as Petsmart or Petco?

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely after I set my power head up. It's a 3 gallon tall
Ok. I would not personally put any fish in a 3 gallon tank, and corals might be difficult due to tempature and parameter flux.

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely be getting a protein skimmer. Do they sell them in a local petstore such as Petsmart or Petco?
No. I have never seen them there- a 3 gallon tank might be too small for one.

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, can you post a picture of it?
What is the tank named?

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. That light will definitely not work. Do you have a budget for a light?
I would look at the kessil a80 tuna blue. It is $130 and a great nano budget light!

OP
OP
MayteAnahi

MayteAnahi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. That light will definitely not work. Do you have a budget for a light?
I would look at the kessil a80 tuna blue. It is $130 and a great nano budget light!
Definitely will look into the kessil a80 tuna blue. Thanks

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I would not personally put any fish in a 3 gallon tank, and corals might be difficult due to tempature and parameter flux.

I agree and my guess on the size was off as well.

The light will not be strong enough for coral as well.

Would you consider something like a 20 gallon long? Petco often runs $1 per gallon. It would open several doors for you to be honest.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't trying to sound harsh in my last post. It can be done but is just much easier to start out with just a little larger tank.

I had a decent light on a small acrylic tank I made in 2007. Definitely not the prettiest tank I made but I enjoyed it. It was a 4g and it actually did well. Had a few softies in it and a small Bangii from a brood I raised.

When I set it up I used LR, sand, and water from an established 125g I was running so I didn't have to worry about everything with the nitrogen process taking place.

I was running multiple tanks at the time so I could easily transfer them.

IME if one starts out with a tank the size I'm posting it is difficult at best.

misc016.jpg

misc014-2.jpg

misc008.jpg

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH is 7 before the lights come on and 8.4 when they go off. Everything is living. Inverts, shrimp, clowns, Duncan, acro and Acan in the tank

mikes686

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, 1. It's a new tank and needs to cycle, 2. Need to get a powerhead in it to move water and break surface to allow gas exchange, 3. Welcome and enjoy this hobby.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back