Poor oxygenation in AIOs?

guyute1500

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting back into reef keeping with an old eco mini 28, I'll start a build thread when i actually get water in it. While "researching" these forums the issue of poor oxygen levels in AIO tanks came up several times, usually with sick fish. I plan on running a jebao dep- 2000 with a VCA rfg and a jebao MLW-10 in the display. Chaeto in the fuge will be on a reverse cycle and the tank will have a screen top. Any reason I should be concerned about oxygen levels or transfer?
 
I think the problem comes down to:
- not enough surface agitation
- closed tops
- people turning their powerheads down at night because they think the fish need to "rest", but it's actually the opposite. Keep them running because algae and other photosynthetic organisms stop producing oxygen at night but continue consuming it.

Good surface agitation for gas exchange is critical, just having good circulation won't cut it. I point both my return nozzle and powerhead up, as well as like to run a skimmer even on my AIO nano tank (don't need to collect if your nutrients are low).
 
I like to run my AIO's so that in the rear filter section, one chamber cascades down into the next chamber. This helps increase gas exchange in AIO's.
 
I like to run my AIO's so that in the rear filter section, one chamber cascades down into the next chamber. This helps increase gas exchange in AIO's.
I've spent some effort in testing oxygen in my skimmerless tank just with a cascade from tank to sump and lots of in tank flow. I have never detected low oxygen, for what it's worth.
 
In an AIO, oxygenation is usually more about gas exchange than simply water movement. Keeping the surface gently agitated, maintaining good circulation, and allowing some air exposure in the rear chambers can help. I’d also keep flow running overnight, since oxygen can drop when photosynthesis stops.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new