PH range bound 7.6-8.0 with CO2 reactor.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently installed a co2 reactor as I am having serious ph issues. It has helped but it still swings from 7.6 to 8.0 each day and night. I'd like 8.1-8.4. I installed a BRS co2 reactor, after 3 days half the media is already purple. 10.5 alk. I do not want it any higher.
Would a second reactor with an airstone help?
If so would this stuff work as an alternative, the purple stuff is expensive and does not last long.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use outside air instead of scrubbed air? Or maybe even scrub outside air?
I possibly can. (the outdoor area it would go has dogs in it, likely rendering this ineffective) The other thing I could do is run 2 scrubbers (I accidentally ordered 3, LOL).

Do you have any insight on the product I linked?
It could save a lot of money, and maybe for other reefers as well.
Calcium Hydroxide / Potassium Hydroxide / Sodium Hydroxide
That is what it contains, and it wouldn't actually be in the water (just the air feeding the skimmer and possibly an airstone), this is used for medical usage.

Any chance having the ph probe in a very stocked fuge shows a different ph than the display?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit ago I experimented with my own diy sodium hydroxide scrubber. I actually used liquid lye and ran it inline with a 10watt air pump and air stone. I could turn my 20gal sps tank opaque with bubbles if I wanted.

I wanted to try liquid sodium hydroxide because I've tried the color changing pellets a few years ago and got zero results. They just turn purple.

Even in a small tank the scrubber only moved pH .05 up during the night only. However, alk consumption jumped up nicely so something was going on.

My theory on this is scrubbers can only compete with internal CO2 generated by organisms when your tank lights are off. I dont see how a scrubber can compete with environmental CO2 because its constantly in contact with surface water. Its like running an Air conditioner with all your windows open.

I need to try it again, but turning surface pumps off. Sorry for meandering. My experience matches the OP and IMO we need more in depth experience with these devices.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back