pH read error

Raf714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, since reef-pi 4.3 and now 5.0 that runs on a rorbo-tank. I am getting a pH read error each time when I log in to the dashboard.
ph subsystem: Failed read probe:pHError:strconv.ParseFloat: parsing "\xb7.055\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80": invalid syntax.
In the graph it looks like the measurment is functioning normal.
When I open the calibration dialog the errors keep flashing over the screen. After closing calibration this stops with one entry in the log.
Each time I log in there is a new entry.
Does somebody knows what is happening?

Thanks

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, since reef-pi 4.3 and now 5.0 that runs on a rorbo-tank. I am getting a pH read error each time when I log in to the dashboard.
ph subsystem: Failed read probe:pHError:strconv.ParseFloat: parsing "\xb7.055\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x80": invalid syntax.
In the graph it looks like the measurment is functioning normal.
When I open the calibration dialog the errors keep flashing over the screen. After closing calibration this stops with one entry in the log.
Each time I log in there is a new entry.
Does somebody knows what is happening?

Thanks
Hi Raf714, that's not looking good, sorry for the troubles. The long string is the data reef-pi receives however in the beginning the xb shouldn't be there and why reef-pi isn't parsing it, the pH value is there. It's definitely not related to the update based on what I see and I've tested pH with 5.0 and it's ok.

I'm not certain but I think you've had the controller for a while now, could you let me know what date you ordered it? A while ago there was a problem, if there was a sudden drop in voltage it could corrupt the code and/or eeprom for the pH, although this isn't exactly what I would expect it could be related. There also may be a reset pad on the board that might sort it out, once I know what controller you have I can post how to try that.

Another thing you might try is deleting the pH from pH tab and adding it back. Also unplug power from controller and power back up if you haven't already.

OP
OP
R

Raf714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rob,

The order nr was 987.
Indeed removing the ph from the tab and making a new one with a different name helped sometimes. So I thought rather it was a software problem. Or just luck.
Also rebooting the Pi or unplugging helped somtimes to solve the problem.
Can there be a problem with i2c clock stretching? Lowering the bus speed did n't help.

Regards

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rob,

The order nr was 987.
Indeed removing the ph from the tab and making a new one with a different name helped sometimes. So I thought rather it was a software problem. Or just luck.
Also rebooting the Pi or unplugging helped somtimes to solve the problem.
Can there be a problem with i2c clock stretching? Lowering the bus speed did n't help.

Regards
Thanks and now that you mention clock stretching I think it's related to that, I kind of forgot about that but this is what happens.

If you run

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Do you see the following line in the file?

dtparam=i2c_arm_baudrate=10000

I see it's over a year you had it, unfortunately that pH circuit isn't programmed with low voltage lockout, if the above is set correctly it might be related and I'll have to get you another circuit. Only other thing if you have an extra SD card is to see if a fresh install sorts it out but that's stretching it...

OP
OP
R

Raf714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and now that you mention clock stretching I think it's related to that, I kind of forgot about that but this is what happens.

If you run

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Do you see the following line in the file?

dtparam=i2c_arm_baudrate=10000

I see it's over a year you had it, unfortunately that pH circuit isn't programmed with low voltage lockout, if the above is set correctly it might be related and I'll have to get you another circuit. Only other thing if you have an extra SD card is to see if a fresh install sorts it out but that's stretching it...
The good news: after a few restarts the error has disappeared!
So I can't well understand it is a hardwareproblem.

Regards

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back