PH rise. Any suggestions?

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have been struggling with my PH continuing to rise for a long time. I know this probably has been discussed before but I thought I would post my parameters and what I am doing because I’m sure it is not a cookie-cutter solution.

Parameters:
PH: goal is 8.3 but it creeps up past 8.6 after I lower it back down with distilled white vinegar after a couple of days. I use 1ml per gallon vinegar addition formula to lower it by .3.

Today's tests at 10 am
PH 8.5
Alk: 8.9
Calcium: 467
Mag: 1335
Salinity PPT 35.2
Temp 78.7

Equipment:
-75 gallon main tank and has been running for just over a year.
- 2x 10-gallon tanks / 1 for refuge and 1 for equipment.
-Display tank lighting:
2x Viparspectra 22-inch height
100 blue
30 white
9 am blue on, 10 am to 6 pm blue/white, 7 pm blue off.

-Refuge lighting: on at 9 pm, off at 7 am
-Skimmer 24hrs
-UV 24 hrs

Thank you for all your help and if there is any more info I can provide please let me know.

IMG_4816.png IMG_4805.jpeg IMG_4804.jpeg IMG_4806.jpeg IMG_4807.jpeg IMG_4808.jpeg IMG_4809.jpeg IMG_4810.jpeg

OP
OP
dustynavy

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a second opinion on the test first
Ok thank you I will use the Salifert test and post the results. I used the Hanna colorimeter tester for the one above and checked the calibration with the kit before the test. I lowered it with distilled white vinegar so I will have to wait a bit and use both test to compare.

Upvote 0

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things:
  • Your pH graph looks very irregular- I am sensing testing error and would calibrate probe and/ or get a new probe
  • I would double check with different measuring tool
  • By adding vinegar, you are dosing carbon, so be prepared for consequences.
  • you could decrease your Refugium photoperiod and intensity
  • You could run skimmer less then 24/7

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dustynavy

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things:
  • Your pH graph looks very irregular- I am sensing testing error and would calibrate probe and/ or get a new probe
  • I would double check with different measuring tool
  • By adding vinegar, you are dosing carbon, so be prepared for consequences.
  • you could decrease your Refugium photoperiod and intensity
  • You could run skimmer less then 24/7
Thank you for your support.
I agree the ph is all over the place or the tests are. I will check the Hanna colorimeter with the calibration tubes. I had no idea I was carbon dosing with the vinegar. What are the consequences? Should I use something else? I have been doing that ever since the ph started to rise months and months ago. I will do some research. I will try reducing the skimmer I think first after I check the calibration and verify with another test or if you recommend another way to reduce the ph effectively I will do that for a week before the skimmer. I will do one thing at a time so I can narrow done the best approach.

Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello all,

I have been struggling with my PH continuing to rise for a long time. I know this probably has been discussed before but I thought I would post my parameters and what I am doing because I’m sure it is not a cookie-cutter solution.

Parameters:
PH: goal is 8.3 but it creeps up past 8.6 after I lower it back down with distilled white vinegar after a couple of days. I use 1ml per gallon vinegar addition formula to lower it by .3.

Today's tests at 10 am
PH 8.5
Alk: 8.9
Calcium: 467
Mag: 1335
Salinity PPT 35.2
Temp 78.7

Equipment:
-75 gallon main tank and has been running for just over a year.
- 2x 10-gallon tanks / 1 for refuge and 1 for equipment.
-Display tank lighting:
2x Viparspectra 22-inch height
100 blue
30 white
9 am blue on, 10 am to 6 pm blue/white, 7 pm blue off.

-Refuge lighting: on at 9 pm, off at 7 am
-Skimmer 24hrs
-UV 24 hrs

Thank you for all your help and if there is any more info I can provide please let me know.

IMG_4816.png IMG_4805.jpeg IMG_4804.jpeg IMG_4806.jpeg IMG_4807.jpeg IMG_4808.jpeg IMG_4809.jpeg IMG_4810.jpeg
Ph will rise with addition of alk, thru certain salt mixes, addition of more air into the room and with buffers
Assure not a false reading.

Upvote 0

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your support.
I agree the ph is all over the place or the tests are. I will check the Hanna colorimeter with the calibration tubes. I had no idea I was carbon dosing with the vinegar. What are the consequences? Should I use something else? I have been doing that ever since the ph started to rise months and months ago. I will do some research. I will try reducing the skimmer I think first after I check the calibration and verify with another test or if you recommend another way to reduce the ph effectively I will do that for a week before the skimmer. I will do one thing at a time so I can narrow done the best approach.

Thanks again for your help.
People dose carbon ( vinegar or vodka) to lower nitrate, so if you do it longer, nitrates may drop. One or two days should be O.K though.
You can use Muriatic acid( hydrochloric acid ) to lower pH, but be careful, it is a strong acid and it can burn you and there’s overdosing potential too. I would leave pH as it is for now and wouldn’t add any chemicals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dustynavy

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People dose carbon ( vinegar or vodka) to lower nitrate, so if you do it longer, nitrates may drop. One or two days should be O.K though.
You can use Muriatic acid( hydrochloric acid ) to lower pH, but be careful, it is a strong acid and it can burn you and there’s overdosing potential too. I would leave pH as it is for now and wouldn’t add any chemicals.
Oh, man. I have been running into problems with zero nitrates and phosphate. I have been dosing those every once in a while to get the levels up. My eyes are opening haha. It seems like I am creating problems by trying to fix others incorrectly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dustynavy

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph will rise with addition of alk, thru certain salt mixes, addition of more air into the room and with buffers
Assure not a false reading.
I am using Seachem reef builder thinking it would not really change the ph much and instant oceans reef crystals for salt.

Upvote 0

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, man. I have been running into problems with zero nitrates and phosphate. I have been dosing those every once in a while to get the levels up. My eyes are opening haha. It seems like I am creating problems by trying to fix others incorrectly.
There is a thread today here about patience in reefing- sometimes it’s better to do nothing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dustynavy

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread today here about patience in reefing- sometimes it’s better to do nothing.
Im sorry I’m still learning a lot and was worried about my coral. I understand what you are saying though and will leave things alone. I waited to post on here for that reason but I thought I would give it a shot. Just want to do things right with my tank. Thank you again.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am using Seachem reef builder thinking it would not really change the ph much and instant oceans reef crystals for salt.
That may be an issue.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dustynavy

dustynavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I am going to go with this plan.

1. Stop using vinegar to lower ph and reef builder for alk.

2. Leave the tank's ph alone

3. Baking soda to keep alk at a stable level

4. Cut skimming down by 6 hours

5. Maintain Calcium, Magnesium, and Alkalinity at recommended levels

6. Watch Nitrate and phosphate levels.

7. 10% water changes every week

5. Be patient

Does this look like an appropriate plan everyone?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm going to stop using the reef builder. Any suggestions on salt? Or were you just talking about the reef builder?
Reefbuilder and other buffer/additives

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back