PH swings?

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone assist with this? Should I be worried about these swings?

dKH is at 9.0

41B5DC32-B463-48F5-A757-42A3537C3319.png

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like normal pH changes to me. I wouldn't chase a number personally and wouldn't change a thing.

There are ways to increase the average pH, but unless you take steps to dose when your lights are off or grow something in a reverse photoperiod, you will likely always have a difference between the pH during daylight/photosynthesis and the pH at night.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photosynthesis!

If you look closely at several days, you'll see that the peak is at or near the end of your lighting period, and the low is early morning before the lights come on.

In general the peaks trend a little higher from Monday towards Friday, and drop again on the weekend, because you're at home more and breathing. CO2 in the air makes the water slightly more acidic, lowering the ph. Photosynthesis consumes the CO2, which makes the ph rise when the lights are on.

OP
OP
S

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also do run a fuge light opposite my main lights for 12 hours. I just heard that you want your ph above 8. I also heard to not try and chase your ph. So I shouldn’t worry to much?

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes when you chase pH you can create more problems than leaving the pH swing, if you don't go below 7.3 or above 8.7 you're livestock will adapt.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above 8 is preferable for growth, but anywhere between 7.8-8.3 can grow a successful tank.

Your lows fall a little low for my own liking, but I don't see anything outright wrong with your numbers. You might find the average goes up by opening some windows (and the stand doors if you have a sump) when possible.

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20200601-123733_Apex Fusion.jpg

Yesterday had my daughter birthday at home and a few people came in you can see it never went above 7.75 as the other days. Also is a new tank pH swings are expected

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check the alk. I had swings until I got kh up to 9 dkh or so.

Adding macro algae (usually in a refugium) will increase the ph.

my .02

OP
OP
S

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check the alk. I had swings until I got kh up to 9 dkh or so.

Adding macro algae (usually in a refugium) will increase the ph.

my .02
In a 24hour period my alk went from 9.4 to 9.0. So as of this morning it’s 9.0. This is with a Hannah checker. I also have a small fuge

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 24hour period my alk went from 9.4 to 9.0. So as of this morning it’s 9.0. This is with a Hannah checker. I also have a small fuge
That sounds pretty good to me anyway.

I would read the improved diy two part from DR. Holmes-Farley to check calcium and (less importantly) magnesium.

For instance my calcium was 350ppm or less. When I got that up to 450 or so, then alk started dropping. So I eventually started dosing baking soda and finally just implemented the diy two part.

I was using instant ocean (not reef crystals) and magnesium was way low like 700ppm or so. It took pounds of epsom salts to get the 55g up to 1350pm

my .02

ps sorry I didn't read the dkh value in your first post.

OP
OP
S

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would read the improved diy two part from DR. Holmes-Farley to check calcium and (less importantly) magnesium.

For instance my calcium was 350ppm or less. When I got that up to 450 or so, then alk started dropping. So I eventually started dosing baking soda and finally just implemented the diy two part.

I was using instant ocean (not reef crystals) and magnesium was way low like 700ppm or so. It took pounds of epsom salts to get the 55g up to 1350pm

my .02

I’m also using instant ocean and not reef crystals. I get my salt water form lfs ( until I get my awc set up ) when I first got my Hannah checker my dKH was at 7.9 and calcium was at 360. About a week later I went to get a 5 gallon bucket of salt water to do a 5 gallon water change. I tested my alk the and cal the next day and it was at 9.4 and 470. I then tested my alk the next day in 24hrs and it was at 9.0. They had to mix a brand new thing of salt as they didn’t have any ready so not sure if this spiked my alk and calcium, but I don’t think 5 gallons would do that. My tank is 65 gallons total water volume

OP
OP
S

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my .02

Also I have yet to test mag as I don’t have test for that. I probably should test this

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes when you chase pH you can create more problems than leaving the pH swing, if you don't go below 7.3 or above 8.7 you're livestock will adapt.

pH 7.3? Wow, you are an extremist. I could not agree with that. Coral skeletons will be slowly dissolving. Some folks run CaCO3 reactors at that pH.

It is a common mantra to “not chase pH”, but IMO, you cannot cause harm if you optimize pH in appropriate ways and in appropriate degrees.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I have yet to test mag as I don’t have test for that. I probably should test this

It is a low priority. I wouldn’t bother. It will be exactly what is in the salt mix.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also using instant ocean and not reef crystals. I get my salt water form lfs ( until I get my awc set up ) when I first got my Hannah checker my dKH was at 7.9 and calcium was at 360. About a week later I went to get a 5 gallon bucket of salt water to do a 5 gallon water change. I tested my alk the and cal the next day and it was at 9.4 and 470. I then tested my alk the next day in 24hrs and it was at 9.0. They had to mix a brand new thing of salt as they didn’t have any ready so not sure if this spiked my alk and calcium, but I don’t think 5 gallons would do that. My tank is 65 gallons total water volume

That calcium boost is mostly test error In one or both readings. It cannot jump 110 ppm from a 10% water change.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back