PH too low? help.

Saluqui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a new 20g reef tank. Just about 1 month old. Cycled and have a couple small fish and a cleanup crew. PH gets to about 7.8/7.9 during the day, and dips to 7.1/7.2 just before lights on. Is this acceptable? My alk is 8.6 ....Thanks!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the room well ventilated, meaning is there a fresh air source:)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH generally drops at night, but if you are in the room at night (I would assume) your exhaling is adding CO2 to the room, which may push it even lower.

Options may include opening a window or have the skimmer intake outside air from an airline. However, if other parameters are fine and livestock is fine, I would just monitor and keep an eye on it. Your tank is young so as it matures you may see it level off higher.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH generally drops at night, but if you are in the room at night (I would assume) your exhaling is adding CO2 to the room, which may push it even lower.

Options may include opening a window or have the skimmer intake outside air from an airline. However, if other parameters are fine and livestock is fine, I would just monitor and keep an eye on it. Your tank is young so as it matures you may see it level off higher.
+1

Here is some more helpful information link on vent the skimmer or setting up a reactor. There is a link to the setting up a reactor in the small article:) @120reefkeeper does a good job on setting up a co2 scrubber

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 41.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 104 49.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back