Philips CoralCare Gen 2 First look.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrum is what @MabuyaQ is referring to when he says color temperature. It's a scale that has long been used in aquarium lighting to give a more objective measure to the "blue-ness" of our lights. You are probably familiar with color temperatures like 6,500K, 10,000K, 14,000K, and 20,000K.
orchid-grow-light-color-temperature-kelvin-scale.jpg

The argument being made here is that the CoralCare was designed for the European market first, which strongly prefers a "natural" 10,000-14,000K look. The full-on blue, no-white, actinics-only type reefs that are common in the US are not something that was designed for. BRS tested these lights with blues at 100% and whites at 30% to match the color temp they liked (very blue), so of course the output will be predictably diminished.
Yes but i'm not sure it will change the results as they did the same for the other leds so if the other leds are superior with 30%,they will also be it at 100%, no? I have the radions and come from europe ,i made them more white also.but the interesting question here is wich color temperature is the best for our corals?until now i all time read the blue one?

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Philips is backing the CoralCare Gen2 lights with an industry-leading 2-year warranty. Warranty claims in North America will be handled by CoralVue, but Philips will be inspecting any light that is returned. There is a reason the company's been around for over 100 years!

As a token of our appreciation for supporting innovation in the hobby, we will be offering an incentive to early adopters who pre-order. More details will be announced in the weeks ahead (we literally got this approved yesterday), but as of now, it's looking like all of the major online players will carry the lights. So you should have options!

So any details on the incentive? I am ready to purchase 2 for my new build, also you mentioned something about different mounting options, when will that be available?
thank you

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any details on the incentive? I am ready to purchase 2 for my new build, also you mentioned something about different mounting options, when will that be available?
thank you

I sent a message on the incentive to @Jeff@CoralVue and never received a response. Ended up just buying 4 from bulk reef

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you
I sent a message on the incentive to @Jeff@CoralVue and never received a response. Ended up just buying 4 from bulk reef

I am sorry for my absence lately! 2020 has been crazy. I hope I can return and be a regular contributor to the community like I was before. We just added another marketer to help carry the load. She has been fantastic. It's going to be non-stop product launches through Black Friday. Look for new product announcments soon for Maxspect, Philips, HYDROS, IceCap, and Aquaforest. I am sure I am missing some. EasyReefs and Reef Octopus are possiblities. Maybe Focustronic? We'll see how the year plays out. Nothing has gone quite according to plan. lol Anyway, back to the subject at hand:

CoralCare Mount
I will post a CoralCare tank mount and wall mount on our Facebook page tomorrow. We would appreciate your feedback on both. These aren't production mounts, so don't judge them too harshly. You can help us decide which to put the finishing touches on and release first.

Pre-Order Incentive
You can still claim the CoralCare pre-order incentive if you order from BRS. The offer goes live tomorrow. We will update our R2R banners and start a thread for it here so members can fill out the submission form.

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry for my absence lately! 2020 has been crazy. I hope I can return and be a regular contributor to the community like I was before. We just added another marketer to help carry the load. She has been fantastic. It's going to be non-stop product launches through Black Friday. Look for new product announcments soon for Maxspect, Philips, HYDROS, IceCap, and Aquaforest. I am sure I am missing some. EasyReefs and Reef Octopus are possiblities. Maybe Focustronic? We'll see how the year plays out. Nothing has gone quite according to plan. lol Anyway, back to the subject at hand:

CoralCare Mount
I will post a CoralCare tank mount and wall mount on our Facebook page tomorrow. We would appreciate your feedback on both. These aren't production mounts, so don't judge them too harshly. You can help us decide which to put the finishing touches on and release first.

Pre-Order Incentive
You can still claim the CoralCare pre-order incentive if you order from BRS. The offer goes live tomorrow. We will update our R2R banners and start a thread for it here so members can fill out the submission form.

I ended up canceling my order due to no mounting options being available. Maybe I’ll change my mind once they release something

Last edited:

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CoralCare Mount

Pre-Order Incentive
How long would it take to get them into production? I cannot purchase the lights without more mounting options.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having three 20 lb. objects hanging above a large glass tank is just a little too much for me also. Therefore currently looking at the Straton.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CoralCare Mount

Pre-Order Incentive
Did you start the thread for the pre-order incentive?

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CoralCare Mount

Pre-Order Incentive

Jeff?
We are all waiting here, you promised and didn't deliver. Any update would be nice.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up canceling my order due to no mounting options being available. Maybe I’ll change my mind once they release something
The only OEM mount solution that I know if is the one for the high bay housing this light was based upon (Gentlespace gen3), and it was a pivoting bracket. That's why there is that hole in the middle of the fixture housing.

I'm unsure if they have pursued this option or if it would be suitable exposed over salt water.

9131974abdd0416fb5b9ab7a00d135a0

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only OEM mount solution that I know if is the one for the high bay housing this light was based upon (Gentlespace gen3), and it was a pivoting bracket. That's why there is that hole in the middle of the fixture housing.

I'm unsure if they have pursued this option or if it would be suitable exposed over salt water.

9131974abdd0416fb5b9ab7a00d135a0

I ended up ordering 4 Straton's instead, we'll see how it goes when they arrive next week

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for a perhaps dumb question.. But here we go :)

Must you have a Coral Care Controller to use a Coral Care Gen 2? How much can you do with these light fixtures without the controller?

Thanks in advance!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Must you have a Coral Care Controller to use a Coral Care Gen 2? How much can you do with these light fixtures without the controller?

Thanks in advance!
I'm curious about this as well.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure how much you can do without the controller, but I asked the question about needing the controller for the lights on Phillips Facebook page and they replied you do need the controller.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how much you can do without the controller, but I asked the question about needing the controller for the lights on Phillips Facebook page and they replied you do need the controller.
Thanks!!
A bit surprised that it isn’t more clear on their homepage. Or perhaps I didn’t read it well enough :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back