Phillips CoralCare V2; 2020 US release

Toky916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so the G5 spread is better then the orphek durning the BRS test and this light is proving lower par numbers already.
I was ready to get the Philips but might have to hold off.

One of these fixtures can replace 2 or 3 Radion's. I think undercutting has been accomplished.

U

User1

View Badges
Good point. I'm growing Acros at less than 200 PPFD, when the lights at full power would be at least double that.

Actually - I owe everyone an apology. I'm looking back at what I wrote and it seems I may have come in a bit hot :) I hope that didn't sound snarky. I really didn't mean it that way.

I was honestly just questioning par as it relates to overall success. Does more guarantee success? In my mind it was racing through the thought of when we tried to attain 0 nutrients level but now finding out they may not be bad overall.

Edit: I know there is a lot of testing with par and spectrum :)

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually - I owe everyone an apology. I'm looking back at what I wrote and it seems I may have come in a bit hot :) I hope that didn't sound snarky. I really didn't mean it that way.

I was honestly just questioning par as it relates to overall success. Does more guarantee success? In my mind it was racing through the thought of when we tried to attain 0 nutrients level but now finding out they may not be bad overall.

Edit: I know there is a lot of testing with par and spectrum :)

depends on what we define success as. I have brought out colors in acros above 300 par that were not there at lower intensity. So if potentially coloring up coral is a goal then yes it matters. Also it can give one more mounting options when it comes to height above the tank, aka more
Par let’s you mount higher (and of course that then reduces par) so you have some more flexibility. And of course the biggest is just hitting minimal levels for growth. As Dana pointed out it can be lower than what many think, but if you want a clam on the bottom of a 30” deep tank it’s not easy to get 300 PAR for a maxima or crocea that far down.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok again higher par directly underneath a fixture does not mean a fixture puts out more par.
You need average par for the area you are lighting.

A fixture that puts out 500 par underneath it and 1 foot away does 100 par and another fixture does 400 par underneath and 300 a foot away which put out more light? A little exaggeration but people should get my point.

Take one of those flashlights you can focus. You can turn it one way and the beam of light gets brighter and smaller but lights up less area. Turn it the other way and it is less bright directly in front but lights up more area. That flash light is not putting out less light when you adjust the beam it is spreading it out or concentrating it. The biggest problem with leds has been they do not spread out the light and create self shading and shadows. LPS and softies are fine but sps as they grow are not. So instead you have to add more fixtures or angle some of them.

A lens will cut back on the light a little without a doubt but is softens the light, spreads it out, gets rid of the disco affect and gets rid of hot spots..

This will be the trend going forward unless we see indirect. The industry I work for indirect has been used in allot more fixtures now. That does cut back on light levels some.

I work in the lighting industry and going through this exact same thing with a owner of a warehouse.
We specified a led fixture that has a nice spread and it lights up the racks in the warehouse nice. He is angry because he stands in the middle of a aisle and getting lower foot-candles. What he does not get is he needs vertical illumination. He is just angry because he thinks he got a light fixture that puts out less light but it doesn't. Matter of fact it puts out more light just not directly below it..

@Dana Riddle maybe you can explain this better than me to people.

Last edited:

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so the G5 spread is better then the orphek durning the BRS test and this light is proving lower par numbers already.
I was ready to get the Philips but might have to hold off.

the g5 has better spread than the full V4? I didn’t know that and I might be looking into leds at some point.

corey

Toky916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana if you had to choose one light to run would it be the coral care 2 or xr30 ?
I’ve been waiting for your review on the Ecotech light and compare your findings.

I’m considering swapping all my lights and any of those will be a big investment.

Good point. I'm growing Acros at less than 200 PPFD, when the lights at full power would be at least double that.

Toky916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only comparing what BRS has as it’s the same test done for all the lights with same equipment.

Don’t get me wrong I want to see 2-3 coral care together will increase par and spread.
Choosing lights now is hard. I’ll be looking at G5,Philips, orphek, ATI straton.

the g5 has better spread than the full V4? I didn’t know that and I might be looking into leds at some point.

corey

64393871-7ABB-4C10-AF76-BCD9F005893D.png EF311167-45F9-4654-A879-BE66604E55EC.png

GQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread was started in November of 2019. When will these be available to purchase in the US?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana if you had to choose one light to run would it be the coral care 2 or xr30 ?
I’ve been waiting for your review on the Ecotech light and compare your findings.

I’m considering swapping all my lights and any of those will be a big investment.
You could even swap to ati t5 fixture for a lot cheaper than any of the new LED companies and probably have better success. I'm debating switching back to this myself from my current LEDs.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting @Toky916 thank you. I am repairing 2 Orphek v4s for my tank. It’s 48/48/24. But the opening (acrylic tank) is on 33/32 and because of that I have all my rock and coral in that space. It sounds like 2 Radions could cover that adequately.

corey

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only comparing what BRS has as it’s the same test done for all the lights with same equipment.

Don’t get me wrong I want to see 2-3 coral care together will increase par and spread.
Choosing lights now is hard. I’ll be looking at G5,Philips, orphek, ATI straton.

64393871-7ABB-4C10-AF76-BCD9F005893D.png EF311167-45F9-4654-A879-BE66604E55EC.png
The review of the Radion XR30 Pro is mostly written. I need to buckle down and get it completed.

Braver69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pre order on most sites now. Looks good for softie and lps / mixed tanks. Doesn't look good for sps dominated tanks - watch the latest brs video where they break it down.

I would say it's fine for SPS as not all SPS likes super high par, but if you wanted super high par numbers then a Radion would be a better choice, price one pays for a diffusion panel on a light.

U

User1

View Badges
You can pre order on most sites now. Looks good for softie and lps / mixed tanks. Doesn't look good for sps dominated tanks - watch the latest brs video where they break it down.

Don't fall into that trap. The Gen 1 light was more than capable of lighting a SPS dominated tank. I'd wager the gen 2 is going to do the same. The only thing the hobbyist has to understand in relationship to these lights is their size. Tank surface area or usable area for light penetration and phillips coralcare v2 size will dictate the max number you can install.

That is probably the only limitation these lights will have. Everything else will be fine.

Edit: I was also going to factor in depth of the tank but even that is a non issue because as in real world corals represent the respected depths of the ocean. Just like our gardens or forests be it maple or oak...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back