Phil's Reef-Pi build

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have been reading and have ordered some parts to put together a Reef-Pi system. I was doing research on what I will need in order to complete this project and had some questions for those of you who know how to put one of these together.
To start I was wondering if it matters what operating system I load on my Raspberry Pi card??
Also what have you used for a Case?? I want to find something that will be at least semi water resistance especially if it is going to go under my stand.
Thanks guys!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have been reading and have ordered some parts to put together a Reef-Pi system. I was doing research on what I will need in order to complete this project and had some questions for those of you who know how to put one of these together.
To start I was wondering if it matters what operating system I load on my Raspberry Pi card??
Also what have you used for a Case?? I want to find something that will be at least semi water resistance especially if it is going to go under my stand.
Thanks guys!

Hey @Auto-pilot - I will suggest you run a search in the DIY section of the forum using the words "reef pi". I suggest this because it will give you the opportunity to read through quite a number of builds and determine what you want to incorporate in your build.

This is a very good place to look as it gives you a look at all the guides and parts lists too.

https://learn.adafruit.com/users/ranjib

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Auto-pilot - I will suggest you run a search in the DIY section of the forum using the words "reef pi". I suggest this because it will give you the opportunity to read through quite a number of builds and determine what you want to incorporate in your build.

This is a very good place to look as it gives you a look at all the guides and parts lists too.

https://learn.adafruit.com/users/ranjib
Awesome! Thanks for the link I haven't seen that one yet. I have looked at some builds and noticed there are a lot of different solutions. I was just curious if anyone had any good info on why they chose one choice over another. Maybe give me some info I have overlooked

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks rushbattle I had seen the pico board but didn't know where to buy it from
Use the adafruit guides if you want to do a scratch build. I use uxcell plastic enclosure for housing.
If you want to avoid soldering and prefer some off the shelf solution , then go for the blue acro board, the link above has ordering information

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the adafruit guides if you want to do a scratch build. I use uxcell plastic enclosure for housing.
If you want to avoid soldering and prefer some off the shelf solution , then go for the blue acro board, the link above has ordering information
Yeah I am good with soldering and can put something together pretty easily. I am confused about something though. If I user the blue Acro board will I be able to use one unit to complete multiple functions like dosing, systems on and off and water top off where It looks like the when I build units using the schematics on Adafruit I would have multiple units one for each function??

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am good with soldering and can put something together pretty easily. I am confused about something though. If I user the blue Acro board will I be able to use one unit to complete multiple functions like dosing, systems on and off and water top off where It looks like the when I build units using the schematics on Adafruit I would have multiple units one for each function??
The pico board will allow one temperature sensor, one ato (May be more) , two 0-10 dc output , ph and 8 outlet control (using the adj power strip)

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pico board will allow one temperature sensor, one ato (May be more) , two 0-10 dc output , ph and 8 outlet control (using the adj power strip)
It might be more cost effective to use a Pico board, if I don't have to purchase multiple Rasberry Pi boards and supplies to build multiple units

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be more cost effective to use a Pico board, if I don't have to purchase multiple Rasberry Pi boards and supplies to build multiple units
can I use the two dc outputs to control dosing pumps?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys Im officially committed and bought a pico board today! The only thing I'm not sure about is what I should use for a temp probe, and if I'm going to be able to use the 0-10 v analog signal on the pico board and a mosfet to have the ability to variate the speed of a pump I want to use to automate the dosing on my system. I think once I have everything and start experimenting I'll be able to figure something out.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys Im officially committed and bought a pico board today! The only thing I'm not sure about is what I should use for a temp probe, and if I'm going to be able to use the 0-10 v analog signal on the pico board and a mosfet to have the ability to variate the speed of a pump I want to use to automate the dosing on my system. I think once I have everything and start experimenting I'll be able to figure something out.
Use the drok sensors

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far this I what I have.
Two temp probes
A raspberry-pi
Micro Sd card
A card reader
Relay pack
Db9 serial cable
Still waiting on the pico board USB serial to control for raspberry-pi and the case for the system

Last edited:
OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0158.JPG

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I got all of my stuff in and so far I've been mostly successful. I do have a problem I hope someone can help me with, maybe @rushbattle you have a good answer if you are using the pico board
20190624_153646.jpg
I'm trying to get the PWM to work, I set everything up and configured it with the text theatrus gave me and I seem to keep getting a message saying the pins I'm using are invalid. I'm using pin 18 and 13
Screenshot_20190624-153817_VNC Viewer.jpg
here's a wiring diagram
15614099142321133512205534784433.jpg
thanks for the help!

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I got all of my stuff in and so far I've been mostly successful. I do have a problem I hope someone can help me with, maybe @rushbattle you have a good answer if you are using the pico board
20190624_153646.jpg
I'm trying to get the PWM to work, I set everything up and configured it with the text theatrus gave me and I seem to keep getting a message saying the pins I'm using are invalid. I'm using pin 18 and 13
here's a wiring diagram
15614099142321133512205534784433.jpg
thanks for the help!

What are you going to use the pwm for and how many will you need as it may be better to use a pca9685 over scl sda for 16 channels.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back