Phosguard in RO bucket

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I read alot of threads about RO storage having high silicate and the way to solve it is to use more di resin chambers.

But I was wondering, would leaving a bag of phosguard in the RO bucket pull out the silicates? Could it help make the water cleaner?

Just a thought..

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I read alot of threads about RO storage having high silicate and the way to solve it is to use more di resin chambers.

But I was wondering, would leaving a bag of phosguard in the RO bucket pull out the silicates? Could it help make the water cleaner?

Just a thought..
Sounds like it could work provided you have flow in the storage container.

OP
OP
N3mo

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it could work provided you have flow in the storage container.
I can put in a powerhead.

Do you have a diatom problem? If not, this is of no value, and may be a negative.

I personally recommend dosing silicate, not trying to reduce it.
Yes I have been having excessive diatoms . Was just trying to see what my options are without trying to drop any media into the actual tank. I could only think the RO water was fueling the diatoms due to excess silicates.

I took out the TDS meter today and RO water measured 45, I didnt expect it to be that high since I changed ALL the filters within the last 6 months. I dropped off the RO machine with our RO expert and he says it could be a housing cracked inside. He will check it out and let me know.

Im hoping its from the dirty RO. If the RO gets fixed, will either ride it out or do some regular water changes. Any thoughts?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can put in a powerhead.

Yes I have been having excessive diatoms . Was just trying to see what my options are without trying to drop any media into the actual tank. I could only think the RO water was fueling the diatoms due to excess silicates.

I took out the TDS meter today and RO water measured 45, I didnt expect it to be that high since I changed ALL the filters within the last 6 months. I dropped off the RO machine with our RO expert and he says it could be a housing cracked inside. He will check it out and let me know.

Im hoping its from the dirty RO. If the RO gets fixed, will either ride it out or do some regular water changes. Any thoughts?

I'd see if 0 ppm TDS RO water solves the problem after a couple of weeks before doing anything else.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back