Phosguard

Htbrooks1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I let my tank slip a little. Have done several water changes since. Just changed water and add new chemi pure blue and purigen yesterday. Phosphate is still around .50 or more. Using the api test kit. Was wondering if it was safe to use the 100 ml phosguard. I have a 13.5 Evo. Thanks in advance !

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know how much it can take up. My suggestion is to put it in for 24 hours and measure the reduction.

OP
OP
H

Htbrooks1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's says the 100ml bag treats 60 gallons. I just don't want to nuke my tank if you think it's too much

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also says leave it in for 4 days. To be real safe try 12 hours

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use lanthanum (phosphat-e or similar) and calculate the amount you need to slowly drop your phosphates.

Here is the link for the calculator:

It will help the chemi pure and purigen.

I never had good results with purigen for phosphate removal. GFO will work, but it will work slowly and the lanthanum will get you close so the GFO can work more effectively at keeping it down. I've had great results with this approach and have been using rowaphos for GFO.

OP
OP
H

Htbrooks1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, so should I replace purigen with gfo ? Or keep the chemi pure blue and purigen and just add the phosphate e to get the levels back right ?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like API for alkalinity and pH but for PO4 I'd use nyos, elos or hanna. As far as which combination of removal stuff I'd say it's more important to keep an eye on you PO4 than any particular combination or sequence. If your PO4 actually is around .5mg/l that's not something that has to be reduced immediatley. If interested here's some stuff to watch/read:

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

BActeria and Sponges

Phosphate Deficiency:
Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:

Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

Effects of phosphate on growth and skeletal density in the scleractinian coral Acropora muricata: A controlled experimental approach

High phosphate uptake requirements of the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata

Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purigen is good for dissolved organics and other toxins. I have always used it along side carbon and GFO to help keep the water clean in my LPS dominant mixed reef.
I would forgo the phosguard and go with GFO; it doesn't deplete as quickly and isn't aluminum based.
My recommendation would be to use lanthanum 1/2 dose day one, then 1/2 dose again day 2 and then add the GFO. Measure phosphates daily to make sure you don't drop them too quickly.

OP
OP
H

Htbrooks1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the info. So just so I'm correct you would do half dose one day, half dose the next and keep chemi pure and purigen and add gfo ? What is a safe number to drop daily and what technically is my target goal ?

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some would argue that the chemical pure with purigen is overkilll. Both work in a similar fashion… there is no harm in using both.
1 /2 dose of lanthanum is the safe way to gently drop the phosphates. By doing a 1/2 dose day 1 and measuring again on day 2 and using a 1/2 dose again based on the new reading, you’re not moving things too quickly.
GFO will take a couple days to work so the lanthanum give you the head start and allows the GFO to work more efficiently at keeping them down for the long term.
You don’t want to drop to 0. My goal is 0.1 but I have a LPS dominant reef and it much prefers a little higher nutrient level.
0.05-0.15 is a good goal.
Also, be sure to read up on using GFO… it’s much more effective in a reactor and there are instructions on the rowaphos label that explain dosing for either a reactor or a bag.
Good luck!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back