Phospates, no growth

ruggirello2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have high phospates, like .30 ppm. My sps doesn't seem to grow and a lot of them are green, and they are not supposed to be. My question is, is that from the phosphates?

surfjeepzx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to perfom a huge water change to make a dent in the levels you have. Then run GFO continuously. Yes phosphates will do everything you are noticing and more if left at high levels.

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running GFO (HC) since day 1 and never had a trace of phosphates.......****** why did you make me say that *knocking on wood*

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a prob with phosphates and started using gfo with a reactor......all gone and coral is thriving!! do 10% water change a week and change the media every month for the first few months....thats what i did and no problems since!!!

reeferJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along if you guys dont mind, but can one achieve the same level of phosphate control with a huge load of macroalgea, or is a GFO reactor almost 100% needed? Im sure this has been debated a thousand times, but it seems more and more people are in favor of the GFO.

schminksbro

Guardian of The Blue Glow
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With PO4 that high I would run small amounts of GFO and change it every day or 2. It will become exhausted very quickly. Once you levels are more in a normal range you can run larger amounts and change much less often. It is important that you don't bring phosphate levels down too quickly as this can harm your corals.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another option, if you have the room is a turf algae scrubber. They will lower the phosphate and nitrates naturally.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back