Lanthanum chloride for Phosphate reduction?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some thoughts that it is the raw LC that harms gills moreso than the crystalline flocculant. I am not even sure how much the skimmer can remove unless it binds to organics in the chamber - it could. Bubbles are not really known to bind to these type of structures usually. In any case, dosing into the skimmer could just make sure that everything is bound and mixed before it heads back to the display.

I think that folks who dose LC end up with cyrstals settled all over the tank. I don't see any way to get them all out. Even if socks can trap the crystals, the raw LC that has not yet bound to anything will get through.

Aluminum Oxide has the same binding properties of po4 that aragonite and GFO do. The po4 can unbind if the water column level gets lower. If TM is using al oxide, then their claim that it can never unbind seems bogus to me. Aluminum Oxide is a strong phosphate binder, though. Powerdery or ground up AlOxide has been shown to raise aluminum levels in aquariums.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a bit more reading, TM has 2 Elimi-Phos products. One is Aluminum Oxide like Phosguard. The other is Lanthanum Chloride - called Elimi-Phos Rapid. The Rapid one looks like watered down LC.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I do is take a 3/16 rigid airline tube and drill a hole in my skimmer lid and make the tube long enough to reach the bottom of the skimmer. I have a jebao 4 head doser and just attach a hose from it to the rigid tube. When you clean your skimmer cup be sure to clean the end of the tube. It will get buildup from the phos as it binds to the lanthanum. If you use the pool variety never go full strength. At the strength I mentioned above I have never seen any cloudiness or fish issues. My tank is a full on sps tank so no issues there either.
Jeff
I mix mine in an IV bag I bought on Amazon works great same concept but I didn't have a spare dosing head

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@coralbeauties Do you expirience precipitation in your skimmer, like white stuff settling inside the skimmer ? and how often do you clean the skimmer ?

/Morten
I honestly dont notice anything out of the ordinary with my skimmer operation or collection cup. I have been dosing the pool grade lanthanium for years. I have it diluted quite a bit, only 5 ml to 1500 ml of water. My doser adds in about 4ml per dose of this diluted solution for however many times a day I need. If I see my phos levels increasing I just add a few more doses per day to the dosing schedule. I have two systems and dose it into both systems with absolute great results. As the saying says, your mileage may vary:)

OP
OP
Backreefing

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. A update I have for a while now month or so reduced doseing Lanthanum chloride to 1 ml every 5 days through the make up water. ( 1 ml in a homer bucket ) this last 5 days. I found using half a cap was dropping phosphate to 0 and nitrates were on the rise . I settled on 1 ml of LC and nitrates are holding at 10 ppm .
Honestly this LC has been a very positive thing for my aquarium and the corals that were impossible for me are doing very well. I took a few pictures 11/18/23-12/18/23 blue stag and Hawkins frags.
In general Lanthanum chloride has made almost every sps color up and do very well.

Attachments

• 2D9F6BCB-E422-41DB-90B8-8FFA7AF5E56D.jpeg
    2D9F6BCB-E422-41DB-90B8-8FFA7AF5E56D.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 7AB6CA7E-F3BE-43B5-BA9E-D537A04C32F0.jpeg
    7AB6CA7E-F3BE-43B5-BA9E-D537A04C32F0.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 06422176-322F-40AE-BBCA-2299AE4A7495.jpeg
    06422176-322F-40AE-BBCA-2299AE4A7495.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 47FE49D0-2B7A-41E0-9EB0-72B5062D1102.jpeg
    47FE49D0-2B7A-41E0-9EB0-72B5062D1102.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 23

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. A update I have for a while now month or so reduced doseing Lanthanum chloride to 1 ml every 5 days through the make up water. ( 1 ml in a homer bucket ) this last 5 days. I found using half a cap was dropping phosphate to 0 and nitrates were on the rise . I settled on 1 ml of LC and nitrates are holding at 10 ppm .
Honestly this LC has been a very positive thing for my aquarium and the corals that were impossible for me are doing very well. I took a few pictures 11/18/23-12/18/23 blue stag and Hawkins frags.
In general Lanthanum chloride has made almost every sps color up and do very well.
Good news. What are your Phosphates before and after?

OP
OP
Backreefing

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate was .3 at its highest but usually.1-.2 . When it was .3 I was getting a browning event. And some montipora are still damaged. But reducing phosphate to.03-.01 helped everything regain health and color up .
Half a cap every 5 days would zero out any phosphate at all . So I’m putting in 1/5th of a cap . That is keeping a minimal amount of phosphate.01 . (1 ml is based on the assumption that the average cap is 5 ml ) aquarium size is 90 gallons.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice — I’ve been using LC on my tanks for years now. From my perspective, it’s extremely easy and effective vs dealing with GFO reactors, carbon dosing, refugium, etc. You do have to go slow and not drastically zero out your PO4.

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’m posting this in SPS because this is in regards to keeping SPS colorfull .
I’ve had medium to low levels of phosphate forever like .01-.3 . Good- ehh IDK because I had that .3 causing a browning event . Nitrates have been holding at 2-5 ppm for months so I discontinued vinegar doseing early this year. Back to phosphate. Even with.01-.02 my montipora and acropora suffered. When the levels rose up to.03 I found a dead zebra snail removed it and tryed Lanthanum chloride ( phosaban L )
It works it reduced.3 to .03 in two days. Since I have been adding half a cap full into 5 gal of top off water . Now it’s getting dosed through the ato . And everything is lovely. This stuff is magic for me anyway.
Whitch leads me to ponder, why is everything dieing dispite low phosphate. Testing is with a Hanna phosphorus tester. I have went down the rabbit hole thinking that our test kits are not telling us all pertinent information. I think there is DOCs or phosphate not registering on kits .
Has anyone else tryed doseing Phosaban L , long term? And it’s affect on SPS / color ?

Not just this. 「Lanthanum Chloride」will also rapidly depreciate 「alkalinity」 and cause a drop in PH. I speculate that this is one of the important reasons for the death of corals. Of course, the rapid depreciation of phosphate will also cause damage to the environment of corals. But this chemical ingredient is really effective when it is reduced on the spot and effective on the spot.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein skimmer and regular old canister filter
Not effective enough! My LAN experiment did not end well and I used a 5 micron filter sock and 1 micron is recommended. The precipitate was everywhere and I deep cleaned my sump twice, along with pumps, etc. I'm back to GFO. Do some extensive gooogling, and as I discovered, LAN usage is not as simple as it may seem! Did it affect your alk?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Backreefing

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not effective enough! My LAN experiment did not end well and I used a 5 micron filter sock and 1 micron is recommended. The precipitate was everywhere and I deep cleaned my sump twice, along with pumps, etc. I'm back to GFO. Do some extensive gooogling, and as I discovered, LAN usage is not as simple as it may seem! Did it affect your alk?
No alkalinity problem all .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back