Phosphate and Nitrate levels

misenerryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started to see a slight increase in my Phosphate levels up to about .3 and Nitrates up to about 20-25ppm. I have recently added a few different frags. I am currently on schedule to complete my next water change this weekend 20% change in a 30 gallon tank. This should get the nitrates more back in line but my question is should I use phosguard before I do a water change to lower the Phosphate levels, or do the water change wait a couple days to retest and then make the decision to use it or not depending on my levels at that point. Thanks.

Nanoreefer4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leave it in there amd do water change. Your phosphate level not too bad, nirate is 10 to 15 is what I'm at, above 25 spa might brown out though.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many "Tank of the Month " gorgeous tanks have NO3 readings of 10-20ppm nitrates.

Im a big believer that having nitrates around 10ppm is actually good and PREFERRED!

Now Phosphates have no benefit being in a reef whatsoever. Problem is most fish food has some level of Phosphate. Heck most of the food WE eat is loaded with Phosphates.

Best to keep PO4 readings as low as possible.

So the major question is "how do I maintain NO3 while eliminating PO4?"

The only way I know of is to weekly dose lanthanum chloride...... for me every Sunday night I dose 50 drops of lanthanum chloride to eliminate any fish food PO4 that has built up over the week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

misenerryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many "Tank of the Month " gorgeous tanks have NO3 readings of 10-20ppm nitrates.

Im a big believer that having nitrates around 10ppm is actually good and PREFERRED!

Now Phosphates have no benefit being in a reef whatsoever. Problem is most fish food has some level of Phosphate. Heck most of the food WE eat is loaded with Phosphates.

Best to keep PO4 readings as low as possible.

So the major question is "how do I maintain NO3 while eliminating PO4?"

The only way I know of is to weekly dose lanthanum chloride...... for me every Sunday night I dose 50 drops of lanthanum chloride to eliminate any fish food PO4 that has built up over the week.

Is there any harm to the fish or corals with lanthanum chloride?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any harm to the fish or corals with lanthanum chloride?
Not that I'm aware of especially if you filter sock immediately after a dose

I've heard inverts like shrimp may struggle but I only have urchins, no shrimp, snails, hermits.

I also heard if you have Asterina Star infestation, it'll wipe them out. Which is good in my book

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back