Phosphate and nitrate on API spin test

Jgill70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just had my water tested at my LFS on their API spin test and was wondering how reliable the results are. Here are the results of that test

DATETEMPPHAMMONIANITRITENITRATEKHPHOSPHATECALCIUMMAGNESIUM
Aug 5, 20237.90.1006.503671508

I don’t have a phosphate or nitrate test, but my Hanna dKH test was 7.8 and cal was 413. The reason I had a test was my sps corals are starting to brown and my zoas are not spreading at all.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I had Hanna kits I would have my LFS run a Spin test every couple of weeks when I picked up water. I could never understand the 0.1 ammonia readings that i would get from time to time as there was absolutely no reason for it. Other than that all other parameters would be pretty close to my Red sea kits which I used in between the Spin test.
The first time I used my Hanna Po4 and alkalinity test they were as expected based on previous readings so I concluded that the Spin Test was pretty reliable with the exception of ammonia.
One thing to consider is that (in my experience) the spin test doesn't display alkalinity in DKH but on another scale, possibly ppm. It's an easy conversion but this could still allow errors to occur.

OP
OP
J

Jgill70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am currently using Aquaforest Probiotic salt. I wonder if this is why my phosphate and nitrate levels are so low. I am thinking of switching to Aquaforest Reef Salt.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using Aquaforest Probiotic salt. I wonder if this is why my phosphate and nitrate levels are so low. I am thinking of switching to Aquaforest Reef Salt.

I doubt the salt matters. If you want N and P higher, I’d feed more or dose them.

Danny McElroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't need accuracy, just a range that shows presence or lack of presence of nitrate and phosphate. It's only $1,100 plus $150 for 50 tests... well worth it to me to not have the hassle of slow and arduous hobby grade test kits. What kind of accuracy are you expecting from a $1,100 machine? If it were $10,000 then I would agree with the accuracy expectation.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would spring for the Hanna ULR Phosphate tester. For Nitrate, i use the Salifert Nitrate test which is good enough to give you an idea. It's critical to have some Phos and Nitrate in your system. If you are really at 0 / 0 then that is why your SPS is not doing well. I would feed more and if necessary ( as in the case of both of my 200g tanks) i dose nitrate if below 5. My $0.02.

miller75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had my water tested at my LFS on their API spin test and was wondering how reliable the results are. Here are the results of that test

DATETEMPPHAMMONIANITRITENITRATEKHPHOSPHATECALCIUMMAGNESIUM
Aug 5, 20237.90.1006.503671508

I don’t have a phosphate or nitrate test, but my Hanna dKH test was 7.8 and cal was 413. The reason I had a test was my sps corals are starting to brown and my zoas are not spreading at all.
I got one done when my lfs got one, I didnt try it again

spin.jpg

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one done when my lfs got one, I didnt try it again

spin.jpg
The red warning sign on the top right indicates there is a problem and results aren’t reliable. It could be air bubble or not enough water in the disk. But generally agree that it is still far from perfection.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back