Phosphate confusion

  • Thread starter Thread starter kweigum
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 16, 2021
Messages
97
Reaction score
45
Location
united states
What state or country do you live in
Wyoming
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a couple questions….. have been having weird issue with phosphate….
So a few months back started a fuge…. Because of high phosphate in my tank .2-.25… the chaeto brought that down to a steady .06 but in turn I had a huge turf algae outbreak that consumed my whole tank…. Couldn’t do anything to get rid of it… pulled the refugium and the algae went away slowly over the next couple of months( completely gone now)
PO4 shot up to around .2 again so I add gfo to help pull it down and I can get it to around a .08 but always seems like my sps stops growing and losing a lot of color… all consumptions of alk and calc stop…. ( using brs high capacity gfo) …. Every time I pull that and just let the phosphate ride I have better coral growth and color….. po4 like to sit around .2-.25…. Just curious how high is too high for PO4? Should I be trying to lower it anyway? Everything I seem to do is detrimental….
Tester is Hanna ulr phosphate:

no3 steady between 6-8
Alk at 8.4
Calc at 420
Salinity 1.026
Mag is 1350
PO4 this morning was .24

just got an Ati Icp back and phosphate showed at .05 ( was .18 on my checker when sent in…. Read po4 isn’t really accurate in icp analysis ) and the phosphorous was at .14 in the icp. Should I just let my tank do it’s thing and quit trying to chase numbers?
Just scared I’ll have a Hugh algae outbreak or sudden coral loss at some point. Tank is 15 months
IMG_7220.jpeg
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new