Phosphate During Tank Cycle

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,
I've read a bunch about the nitrogen cycle in relation to cycling a tank. My 130 gallon system has been up a little over a week, started with Fritz turbo start additive. I've been throwing a small pinch of freeze-dried shrimp in once a day. I've also got pods started in the refugium so I'm feeding 5ml of phytoplankton a day. Ammonia is 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates ~5. The phosphate reading is 0.1, which is high. What's that about? Is it just a sign that it's time for the first water change? Does the turbo start really work that fast?

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any ammonia readings? Adding food is not the ideal way to start a cycle with bacterial bottles and a fish less cycle. There is a very very good chance that your cycle hasn’t even started if the food hasn’t converted to ammonia yet. The phos can be from either your water you’re using or from your food.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fritz scores nicely there

shows how long it takes to establish (2 days max)

you are out past two days, and thankfully you have rock in the tank too

Last edited:
OP
OP
hannernanner

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you had any ammonia readings? Adding food is not the ideal way to start a cycle with bacterial bottles and a fish less cycle. There is a very very good chance that your cycle hasn’t even started if the food hasn’t converted to ammonia yet. The phos can be from either your water you’re using or from your food.
This is a good point. Picked up some ammonia today so I can be thorough about it!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphate won't be an issue so long as your tank lights are not on. When the cycle is done, you can dose some waste away or similar cleaning bacteria to clean up the nitrate and phosphate from cycling (its cheaper than a water change on that size system).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back