Phosphate high

Jrswish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a test kit for phosphate but my nitrate is at 5-10 but i am having issues with corals now and green hair algae growing fast. All I have is 3 fish(Maroon clown, Lyretail anthias, Starry blenny) I feed frozen 2x a day, I have tons of chaeto, which keeps nitrates down. How can I get phosphate under control? I don’t understand.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a test kit for phosphate but my nitrate is at 5-10 but i am having issues with corals now and green hair algae growing fast. All I have is 3 fish(Maroon clown, Lyretail anthias, Starry blenny) I feed frozen 2x a day, I have tons of chaeto, which keeps nitrates down. How can I get phosphate under control? I don’t understand.
I'm reading two issues. 1. Problems with coral 2. Hair algae

Perhaps you could share a little more about your system. The tank volume and age would be helfpul to know. What type of filtration are you using? What corals are you keeping and which ones are having problems? What are the other water parameters

1. I recommend adding herbivores to control the algae.
2. Get a phosphate test kit. I use the hanna. Check the same time of day and ideally prior to any feeding as phosphates in foods may affect your measurements.

You can bottom out the phosphates and still get algae, or you can run a system with high phosphates like mine has been and have next to no problem algae because of the herbivores and clean up crew. More info though, would be the first step prior to any intervention.

OP
OP
J

Jrswish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a hanna ulr phosphate today, but my tank is 32.5 gallons. Literally 3 fish, 3 shrimp, 2 snails but somehow my phosphate is through the roof? I do 5-10 gallon water changes weekly, i have a mountain of growing chaeto so idk. maybe swap out chaeto for protien skimmer?

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a hanna ulr phosphate today, but my tank is 32.5 gallons. Literally 3 fish, 3 shrimp, 2 snails but somehow my phosphate is through the roof? I do 5-10 gallon water changes weekly, i have a mountain of growing chaeto so idk. maybe swap out chaeto for protien skimmer?
What level did you measure for the phosphates?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes have little effect on phosphates . But they will lower nitrates.

You can bottom out phosphates and still have algae growth .

actual tested numbers would help

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back