Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been struggling to lower my phosphate level in my 28 gallon cube
178C3413-3236-4990-90BD-4574ED1BB6A6.jpeg
for a few months now, the last check was 0.22
I’m doing weekly water changes, I am using rowa phos in a media bag , as well as purit and I run a hob protein skimmer.
Is this still too high and should I just continue with what I’ve been doing in order to lower the phosphate level ?
Nitrate level is good

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: Where in your filtration scheme is the Rowaphos? Is it just placed somewhere in the back or do you have it in your filtration stack, ie: after filter floss, etc.

You can cut back on your feeding a bit and that should help a bit with phosphates.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rowa phos is meant to be used in a reactor, if you don't have a reactor, you are not getting the full benefit of phosphate removal. For using a mesh bag in a HOB, you should use phosguard, or a similar product, that does not need to be used in a reactor. I use phosguard which is placed in my HOB filter.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: Where in your filtration scheme is the Rowaphos? Is it just placed somewhere in the back or do you have it in your filtration stack, ie: after filter floss, etc.

You can cut back on your feeding a bit and that should help a bit with phosphates.
It’s in the back where the water flows into the middle chamber, I tried to place it where it gets the most flow, I’m planning to use a media reactor as soon as the replacement pump I need arrives
Any advice on using the innovative aqua gadget mini pro reactor ?

flyfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Blowoff rowaphos, that stuff is too variable. Figure out how much your phosphates creep over 1 week. Stay consistent with how you feed and dose aminos ect. Calculate the lanthanum needed to keep you under .1, its a no brainer. Need to dose in skimmer though...

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m addition to what you’re doing you should also be doing as much manual removal of the gha (if you’re not doing this already).

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is the tank ? what is your bio load?
5+ years and not sure I’d say medium to high load
28 gallon cube with a pair of clowns, gramma, watchman goby, lawnmower blenny, 2 peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, tuxedo urchin and assorted snails and hermits
I only feed once a day and watch how much I’m feeding
Most all coral is gone except pulsing Xenia struggling green mushrooms and ricordea
I recently did a deep clean of all equipment and pumps ( found old media bag at bottom of back chamber and removed) I changed the hood light to a screen and AI prime,added an fan ( water temp was in mid 80’s, and now back at 79)
I have Rodi water and changed filter and resin recently and consistently every 6 months.
I have tried all I know to get the algae under control

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried all I know to get the algae under control
How bad is it? Can you show a pic? Might be time for a deep cleaning of your rock.

Chemipure Elite has a bit of GFO to help lower PO4. Although lowering your PO4 may not solve the algae issue.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad is it? Can you show a pic? Might be time for a deep cleaning of your rock.

Chemipure Elite has a bit of GFO to help lower PO4. Although lowering your PO4 may not solve the algae issue.
I’m going to be upgrading soon and the plan is to do a thorough cleaning of the cube and deep clean the rock (I won’t be using it when I set the cube back up) I’m transferring everything except the sand bed into the cube from a 20 gallon. I have just been trying to get the water parameters back on track as best as I can before I upgrade and reuse the 28 gallon cube

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be upgrading soon and the plan is to do a thorough cleaning of the cube and deep clean the rock (I won’t be using it when I set the cube back up) I’m transferring everything except the sand bed into the cube from a 20 gallon. I have just been trying to get the water parameters back on track as best as I can before I upgrade and reuse the 28 gallon cube
What is the plan for the rock if you’re not going to use it? Rock has some good coralline coverage.

If you’re moving from the 20 to the 28 cube, not sure why the water parameters matter in the 28? Especially if your going to do a thorough cleaning.

How’s the parameters in the 20? How much water are you planning to re-use? Rock can become saturated with PO4, I’d use Chemi pure elite.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the plan for the rock if you’re not going to use it? Rock has some good coralline coverage.

If you’re moving from the 20 to the 28 cube, not sure why the water parameters matter in the 28? Especially if your going to do a thorough cleaning.

How’s the parameters in the 20? How much water are you planning to re-use? Rock can become saturated with PO4, I’d use Chemi pure elite.
I was trying to get the parameters better just because I thought it would help the fish inverts and few corals left to transfer, I’m acclimating the fish to the 90 gallon but have no plans to move any water from the 28 over, and coral moved will be dipped first.
As far as the 20 gallon, I plan to move as much of the water as possible alone with the rocks and corals, the parameters aren’t perfect in the 20 gallon but there’s no algae issues and the corals are doing well. I will replace the sand bed.
My plan with the rock from the 28 gallon was to fill a bucket with water and bleach to kill off everything on the rocks. I have no plans to reuse anytime soon. If you have any advice or suggestions of a better way to clean the rock so it can one day be reused I’m open for ideas
My fear is that the rock has become saturated with po4 and hoping a bleach bath will solve that problem.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This brings up another question, if you soak old rock that has had issues with po4 and algae blooms in a bleach solution can you be assured when it’s eventually used again the same issues won’t return?
Most of the rock in my 90 gallon was old rock that I soaked in bleach for months, then rinsed and re rinsed several times before soaking in water with prime rinsing again and leaving out in the sun to dry. Should I be worried about possible issues using old rock in a new tank ?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This brings up another question, if you soak old rock that has had issues with po4 and algae blooms in a bleach solution can you be assured when it’s eventually used again the same issues won’t return?
Bleach will kill it all. Not sure if regular bleach is strong enough to remove PO4 that’s saturated the rock. Some use Muriatic acid for that purpose.

I have no experience with either bleaching or acid washing rocks though.

In my tanks, I have trouble keeping PO4 at readable levels!! I dose PO4! Lol

Back