Phosphate/Phosphorus Difference

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received test results from an ATI ICP test. It noted that Phosphorus was low but Phosphate was in line at 0.03. Under the management notes the report stated that Phosphorus might need to be added. What is the relationship between the two and how or why does one want to add more phosphorus to the tank? Thanks for the help.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received test results from an ATI ICP test. It noted that Phosphorus was low but Phosphate was in line at 0.03. Under the management notes the report stated that Phosphorus might need to be added. What is the relationship between the two and how or why does one want to add more phosphorus to the tank? Thanks for the help.

Phosphorous is the element, P. Phosphate is the phosphorous containing molecule we measure, PO4—-.

Life uses phosphate in many important processes: the genetic code (DNA and RNA), energy storage and transfer, protein building and creation of cell membranes. It is important for the functioning of life. Excess amounts enables unwanted organisms like algae to proliferate. The game is to provide enough phosphate via food for aquarium life to survive but not excess food that would result in excess phosphate accumulating in the water and enabling algae to take over.

OP
OP
C

crs751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the explanation. I won’t change anything relative to dosing then.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back