Phosphate/Phosphorus too low, How do I increase it

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into the possibility of using the Brightwell Neophos, but according to the instructions I'm suppose to use MICROBACTER7 and REEF BIOFUEL or KATALYST as well? I was using MB7 to get rid of the Dino's, but stopped using once the Dino problem was resolved

If the goal is simply raising phosphate, those products are not needed. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read the other 2 products will reduce my PH. That's not something I want either

The effect will be very small in seawater for any reasonable phosphate increase. It is referring to a freshwater system that does not have a strong buffer the way seawater does and in which you'd be adding way more of the phosphate), but if that is a big concern, use the food grade sodium phosphate, which will raise pH.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The effect will be very small in seawater for any reasonable phosphate increase. It is referring to a freshwater system that does not have a strong buffer the way seawater does and in which you'd be adding way more of the phosphate), but if that is a big concern, use the food grade sodium phosphate, which will raise pH.

Seachem may also not provide the concentration, so the other choices may be better. :)

OP
OP
A

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example, Swanson makes a 100% Pure Monosodium Phosphate, but it states it good for dental health. For strong bones and teeth. Is this the type of product your talking about?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Do you think as a result of increasing my P/PO4 to a tolerable level that might help with my coral growth and color
Yes it will. My new build i used caribsea reef rock and have ben fighting litterally 0 p03np04 (according to triton and hannah checkers) every zoa and sps i owned turned bone white. It took almost 3 months of me not running anything except a skimmer plus dumbing massive ON prime reef flakes in my tank everyday. Im still fighting the same as you. 0.018(i like to keep mine around .05). I would deffinitly take the purigen out, just feed your fish how you normally would and cut back on water changes. I almost went the trisodium route but things started getting better

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
For example, Swanson makes a 100% Pure Monosodium Phosphate, but it states it good for dental health. For strong bones and teeth. Is this the type of product your talking about?
Seachem makes a flourish phosphorus, i think its potassium phosphate. Alot of lfs carry this for freshwater planted tanks

OP
OP
A

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to experiment with phosphate dosing and are concerned that foods might drive Dino's again, three products that should work well are Brightwell Neophos, Seachem Neutral Regulater, and Seachem Discus Buffer.

Or just buy food grade sodium phosphate online. :)
Hello Randy. I'm coming back to revisit my question of raising my Phosphates. As per your quote above, what element/elements am I specifically looking for in a product that will raise my Phosphates safely. I ask because as you know many products have additional ingredients that are useless. Thank you

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your running a smimmer turn it off. I gauratee this will raise po4 in one week.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy,
Thank you for the reply.
I ordered a bottle of Brightwell Neophos yesterday based upon your earlier suggestion. Would you recommend I don't use it and use the item you now suggested?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy,
Thank you for the reply.
I ordered a bottle of Brightwell Neophos yesterday based upon your earlier suggestion. Would you recommend I don't use it and use the item you now suggested?

No, the Brightwell product is fine. :)

julio zuniga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Addicted2acro, any update about the NeoPhos adding in your tank ?

Randy Im in a situation similar, you think i can use together NeoPhos and NeoNitro because in a few months my reading of nutrient drops and now my phosphate and nitrate are 0 (indetectable), i order both products and hope with this i can regulate my levels
System are 300gal, SPS dominant, 8 fishes (medium and small), and have a non desire ULNS haha, thanks.
BTW i dont use any system of nutrient export.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back